Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
View attachment 767981
Do you think this may work? I tried a two prong gear extractor, but only having two prongs wouldn't balance and would tilt as I tightened it. I've used these to extract gears that are on too tight to be pulled off, but nothing like a tapered fitting.
I was thinking something more like a ball joints press or something. Let me see a picture of what you've got going on.

Sent from SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

This is the fitting as it is now. I need to push it up. You can see how the bottom has started to mushroom from hitting it with the hammer. One I get it knocked loose, I'll need to grind that mushrooming down so it pops out the top.

This is how I used the two prong extractor, except it was centered on the bolt.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Seems like if you knock the rod out, then you could use some sort of press tool to get the fitting out, if you can rig it to fit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking...a ball joint press or a bigger C clamp with a big impact socket.

Looks like it's cocked in the hole a bit...might be why it's binding. Take your hammer and beat it side to side and back and forth a few times to see if it loosens it up in the hole.

-jokester

·
Registered
480 Posts
View attachment 767982
This is the fitting as it is now. I need to push it up. You can see how the bottom has started to mushroom from hitting it with the hammer. One I get it knocked loose, I'll need to grind that mushrooming down so it pops out the top.
View attachment 767983
This is how I used the two prong extractor, except it was centered on the bolt.
I might even cut the mushroom off with a Dremel before doing anything else, that way it's out of the way and you can just press or slide it out with everything else.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
And leave the nut on the end the next time you're beating on it :)

Reactions: mbsfield18

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
I was talking about hitting the sides of the rod, not the tapered pin. This jars the taper fit and helps push the pin out. Kinda like squeezing a zit.
It works best when there is pressure on the part you are trying to remove though. since you've already removed the stabilizer, you don't really have anything to pry against. You may need to get a helper.

You could also try an air hammer if you have one. I've seen that work before.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Problem fixed and Stabilizer installed!!

Reused the tapered end. I took my Dremel and filed the mushrooming, then cleaned the threads as good as I could with a pick, the bolt fit on, and then torqued the three bolts.

I took a 15 minute job and made it three days!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Problem fixed and Stabilizer installed!!

Reused the tapered end. I took my Dremel and filed the mushrooming, then cleaned the threads as good as I could with a pick, the bolt fit on, and then torqued the three bolts.

I took a 15 minute job and made it three days!
You left that same tapered end on?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I did leave the same tapered end on.

I bought the same shock to reuse the tapered end, but I had already whacked it a few times with the hammer to get it out and that mushroomed, and the bolt wouldn't fit. Never thought about cutting the mushroom off with a dremel until @mbsfield18 mentioned it. A trick I had not thought of.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I did leave the same tapered end on.

I bought the same shock to reuse the tapered end, but I had already whacked it a few times with the hammer to get it out and that mushroomed, and the bolt wouldn't fit. Never thought about cutting the mushroom off with a dremel until @mbsfield18 mentioned it. A trick I had not thought of.
As long as it works is all that matters.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts