Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on steering stabilizers? Dual vs. Mono for highway driving and occasional trail driving?

This will be the third time in five years I've replaced the steering stabilizer because I'm finding oil leaking out of it. There's a light brown colored oil dripping from the shock. This happened from both ones I've replaced. Shop did the first two, I will do this one. The Dual kits don't look terribly hard to install. I'm the FX4 package and not lifted.

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
Dual Bilstain 5100's for me with a top gun customs kit and a Rancho in the stock location going on 130,000 + miles

not saying you should run 3 but I can vouch they are all leak free so far

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Same here.

Bilstein duals up front with ZERO issues now for 30k (4 years./low mileage truck) on 37's.

Reactions: ChrisSki

·
Registered
480 Posts
Are there any clearance issues with running dual stabilizers on a stock-height truck, with stock wheels/tires?
Shouldn't be if you're running on the street. BDS and Superlift both make a kit for this and offer Bilsteins shocks as an option.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
What about running off-road? I'm in commercial construction and hunt/fish on the weekends, so I've got to take my truck off pavement about once a week. I just don't want to significantly compromise any clearances, or increase the risk something getting damaged by switching to dual stabilizers.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What about running off-road? I'm in commercial construction and hunt/fish on the weekends, so I've got to take my truck off pavement about once a week. I just don't want to significantly compromise any clearances, or increase the risk something getting damaged by switching to dual stabilizers.
Is this in your '15?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think they've relocated the steering stabilizers in front or above the tie rod after '05. note picture 1.

Prior to '05 they were below the tie rod which causes clearance issues. Note picture 2.

So, you should be fine.

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
some kits let you mount the units on top of the tie rod or by swapping the tie rod brackets around
reason is higher is better but some lower trucks may contact the drag link at the highest mounting option

if I was a stock height I may consider just replacing the OEM with a more robust unit

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
the thing with a gas charged single cylinder is it is always pushing out

when in a dual configuration they cancel this out but in a single application ( steering) people ( on this very forum ) have reported feeling the push to one direction

i would stick to a non charged shock like the Rancho if it were mine

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m glad I say this. I don’t know if the dual pro-comp kit that amazon lists As fitting my truck needs a lift or not. Amazon does not mention that as a requirement and the Pro-Comp website, I can’t find any info on the kit. Perhaps 222582 is discontinued.

As it stands, I probably order the Bilsteen 5100 single.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I put my vehicle info into website, says that the 222286 does not fit my truck, and the only stabilizer they pro-comp website lists as fitting my truck is a single stabilizer.

I don’t know much about steering and suspension, and I think its odd that other than the companies website like AMAZON lists a dual system as fitting my truck, but the manufacturers website says it doesn’t.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any recommendations on steering stabilizers? Dual vs. Mono for highway driving and occasional trail driving?

This will be the third time in five years I've replaced the steering stabilizer because I'm finding oil leaking out of it. There's a light brown colored oil dripping from the shock. This happened from both ones I've replaced. Shop did the first two, I will do this one. The Dual kits don't look terribly hard to install. I'm the FX4 package and not lifted.
I have the rough county duel on my 2016 FX4 250. Did it myself too. Works great.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts