Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if a lack of castor creates play in the steering wheel. I have almost zero castor and my steering is feeling a bit loose.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody??????????????????

·
Registered
68 Posts
yes. zero caster makes it easier to turn the wheels...so it sorta feels loose/wander... but loose steering gear box also makes it feel loose so double check play there too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
steering q

My truck use to be all over the road.:hehe:
I thought it was a ford thing until I asked my neighbor.
I turn the adj. on the power steering and bam.This is cool.:hehe:

Pardon me,what s caster?:doh:and how do I check for it.:dunno:

·
Registered
16 Posts
this happened to my truck it was the pitman arm it was two turns loose might want to check that it was that way for a year before i figured it out i now check it every time i do an oil change

·
Registered
68 Posts
Caster is the angle realative to the upper and lower ball joints. More caster means the upper ball joint is further back than the lower.
When I was a kid I had a lowered VW beetle. When you lower them you end up with 0 caster. Twitchy as a mo fo. Hard to keep on the road and I always looked like a drunk driver. Besides the stinger exhaust that dang thing got me pulled over all the time. I finally got some caster shims to go behind the front beam. Made a HUGE difference. So I'd reccomend a proper alignment. Sounds like your missing some shims. The ones for the Ford go between the frame and the pivot for the upper control arm. PITA to adjust properly so when you have it done make sure to get before and after shots of the adjustment. Watch if possible. Slip the alignment guy $20 to get it done right. sometimes a 12pack of um, soda helps...

As far as adjusting the steering gear box goes be careful. Too tight and you'll smoke your steering gearbox. You need some play in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts