Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed lately that when I drive my truck the steering wheel gits stiff/jerky at certain times. Mainly when I am turning a corner but will do it while driving straight also. Say I turn left and when I go to turn back right the steering wheel is kinda stiff/jerky in spots. Almost feels like it "locks up". I just had it aligned not 2,000 miles ago. I really don't know when the ball joints have last been replaced. I am just wondering what might be causing this stiffness/jerkyness. Any ideas?

I did some more looking and found out that my steering wheel has play in it. If I grab the wheel I can move it up and down about a half an inch. I know it is not play in the tilt. Just wondering what causes that play and how to go about fixing it. Thanks guys.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
It might be the U-joints at the wheels. Ive seen those cause steering problems.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've got kinda the same problem on my '05. When I turn the wheel past about the halfway mark, it fights me to go back to center like it wants to stay turned. It happens when I make both a left and right turn. This started a few days ago, and I'm a little worried if it gets worse I'll run myself off the road. Any ideas what the problem could be?

P.S. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have you checked your steering fluid??? just a thought.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 78 ford had a u joint go out and that what it felt like. It would go easy and then stiff then easy and stiff.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
Could also be the steering gear box. I used to have an OBS type truck, wasn't a diesel, it was a 150, but same body, and i had the same problem with it wanting to stay turned, i was lucky because it was a new reman because my old one took a dump, but if i remember right, there is a screw on top that you might be able to adjust it with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts