Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 F350 4x4 and turns fine at idle..but going down the road it's hard to keep straight. And if I turn a little to change lanes the steering wheel does not return. Took it to my loacal dealer and they told me that my steering box was binding and needed to replace for almost $1200.00. Has anyone elese had this problem or heard of somthing like this? Dont want to go and replace the box and still have the same problem!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Mine is acting a bit tight, I'm going to change the steering dampener (it's leaking), hopefully that takes care of it, Now I have to decide between a single or a double setup, I havent heard if the double would make it too stiff, Anybody know?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Check the cheap stuff first. Loose tie rod ends will let a vehicle wander back and forth. And even with good unworn parts, improper alignment could be the culprit. The wheel not returning is kind of strange though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the truck to an allignment shop and the told me everything was good and tight ....so i took the steering damper off and it still did not change! Was thinking it's either power steering pump or the gear box ..also it does not growl or whine at any time!:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is doing the EXACT same thing it sounds like... I just took it in to a shop because it is really getting hard to keep her between the lines. Ill keep up on mine and i hope you get yours figured out...

·
Registered
65 Posts
What was the verdict

So did either of you guys figure out what was wrong????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the PS pump and that did not fix it. Then I broke down and paid the $400.00 for the steering box....and that fixed it!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I changed the PS pump and that did not fix it. Then I broke down and paid the $400.00 for the steering box....and that fixed it!!!!
Thanks for the reply.

-Shane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts