Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have had a bit of steering play for quite some time now... Took it to Les Swab today and they told me that the inner tie rods & the Drivelink are bad...

I know about tie rods but what exactly is the drivelink??? Link or pic please:please:

Also, what else have you guys had experience with? What else would you recommend changing while im there... on a budget LOL

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
I would think that they mean the drag link. It goes from the steering gear box on the driver's side frame rail down to the tie rod near the passenger side. I replaced those things and it did not fix the play in my steering so don't get your hoped up man :thumb:

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do you still have the problem?!?!? If not what did you replace?

·
Super Moderator
19,509 Posts
Could be the steering box itself.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I test it? Can it be adjusted or only replaced?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
19,509 Posts
You can get somebody in the truck. Don't start the engine....the steering won't be aided by the power steering. Have them turn the wheel one direction till it stops and then do it the other way. Don't force it beyond the 'stop'. This can show you how much play you have. You can get under the truck while the assistant moves the wheel back and forth so you can see if anything passed the steering box is moving.

There is a nut with a set screw on top of the steering box. IIRC, the set screw is a hex screw. You loosen the nut, turn the set screw very little (1/8th - 1/4 turn), tighten the nut. Repeat sequence above. Do the adjustment a little at time so you don't over adjust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts