Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy new year all, got a 1994 PS 7.3 F-350 4wheel. It has 330,000 on the clock,but is a good rig for my needs. Trouble started a couple weeks. When I'm sitting or moving slowly,it turns great to the left, but to the right it's "Armstrong Steering." Fluid in P.Steering is normal, and I rebuilt the front end 30,000 ago. I did not replace the steering box. The steering wheel itself seems to be solid,no catches,up and down movement that might indicate bearing issues. Going down the road, the steering is good. Any ideas? Any body else run into this problem?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
If you raise the rpm's to like say 1500 does the steering get easier?

Reactions: garyeco

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,729 Posts
Gears could be chewed inside the box. But first look under the truck and see if there is anything noticeable from the pitman arm down. Something could have gotten bent if you hit something without realizing.

Reactions: garyeco

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried revving it up,no noticeable difference. Been thinking the issue was in the box all along, but thought I might get lucky. The steering wheel it self like I said is tight, but it had a wont to wander a little so you had to keep correcting. I tried to adjust it a while ago but like you people said,time for a new box. Thanks to all for your input and time!!!!!

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,729 Posts
For a replacement go with a RedHead. I just bought one and it is a night and day difference.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like the way to go, heard about it. Go on line or local, NAPA etc. Seems local might be best what with the core?

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,729 Posts
I ordered mine directly from Redhead as they were the cheapest. NAPA doesn't sell something like this since it is a custom box stronger than stock. When you order from Redhead they have an option to include a prepaid shipping label to send them back the core. I did that and the box they send it in is molded on the inside to fit the steering box perfectly so I reused the box to put my core in and mailed it back to them. If you go this route make sure to print out a copy of your invoice to put in the box when shipping it back and drain the core of all fluid so it doesn't leak in shipping.

Reactions: aggieland

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again Horizon122, I see Redhead is located on the East side of my state! They are getting my business. Thanks again and will report the results.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Check the telescoping part of the steering shaft to see if it slides easily, the steering box shaft needs to move in and out slightly as you turn it, that is the valving working. Also sitting in the truck with engine off, turn the steering slightly and let go, it should spring back to center from both ways evenly.

If everything checks out, then the box is bad.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've concluded that the box is toast. The steering shaft,steering wheel, leaking oil. I've got a rebuilt one ordered. Will install as soon as the weather breaks. Thanks again all, I love this site and the help it gives!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about the delay getting back. Got the new steering box in and could't be any happier! That was my issue. Thanks to all.

·
a known holder of grudges
2,055 Posts
I put a RedHead on my '06 - very happy with it

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
A question about steering effort to turn the wheels: about how much effort to turn while sitting still? Can you "turn with the palm" or does it require more effort? Can you turn all the way to the steering lock?
@garyeco
@SixStringMadness

·
a known holder of grudges
2,055 Posts
A question about steering effort to turn the wheels: about how much effort to turn while sitting still? Can you "turn with the palm" or does it require more effort? Can you turn all the way to the steering lock?
@garyeco
@SixStringMadness

Well, I have some impacting factors which make it "not-so-effortless"

I have 305 tires, that's a lot of rubber on the ground. Additionally I have a weakening/leaking power steering pump. My tires also rub a tad, so I don't often turn lock-to-lock.

However, I can turn the wheel sitting still without too much effort, but is something I traditionally avoid. I try to always be rolling, even if just a little so that the wear and tear on the steering components is less. The force to spin that rubber with all the weight resting on them isn't necessarily a gentle force, and is greatly reduced when the tires are rolling. In my mind, that means less wear on the moving components between the my hands and the asphalt.

It's a simple practice I've developed over the years, including others, that hopefully extends the life of the replaceables.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts