Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 f250. The one day i started driving and the steering wheel started jerking hard left right left right left right. I pulled over and turned the wheel hard one direction and it stopped. it hasnt came back since, however, another issue has started. when driving, the wheel will favor one side until you turn to compensate and it will favor the other side. imagine a teeter totter leaning one way, it will drop, lean the other it goes the other way. Thats the best way to describe that. I was told maybe a u joint in the front axle binding, but if the hubs are unlocked and the front driveshaft not moving, how would that be the issue? Thanks alot

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Sounds like you have classic S D steering box failure.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are all of those including the low speed left right left right a symptom? That was kinda scary. if that something that is simply adjustable? Thanks

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Well, that sounds like you might have experienced "death wobble". Google that. The Super Duty gear boxes have a SMALL amount of adjustment that can be done, but it tends to just speed up the wear process after seemingly making it better for a while. Some have decent results with parts-place rebuilt gear boxes, more report good results with Redhead or similar aftermarket boxes. Mine has 250,000 miles and seems pretty good. Some fail earlier, some later, depends on maintenance, tires, lift, driving conditions, and luck.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well at least if I can tighten it up, and it goes away, that's proof that the gear box is bad, which I know to replace later on.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Very good point. These trucks are famous for ball joint and center link or track bar wear too. That old diesel engine is heavy, and wears a lot more on them than the 5.4 and maybe even the v10. Wish ya luck and an easy $olution .

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
The low speed left and right wobble is bad u joints in the front axle. I suggest replacing them soon. While your in there you might as well do ball joints.

Also sounds like a bad steering box. I adjusted mine and it didn't do anything.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How can that be if the front axle isn't moving?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
The axle is in the turned position and the u joint kinda seizes in the bent position and forces the wheel back and forth.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, thanks. I have some work to do to it. I just want a reliable truck and I constantly have to dump money into it. I just got the engine put back in after seals. I have over 4500 in receipts I have done to the truck.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I found the driver side axle u joint is binding up, and found play in steering gear box. Gonna replace the u joint then try and adjust the box if the u joint doesn't solve the whole issue. I have another oil pump issue to take care of first once I get the truck off the lift at work. Thanks, I'll post a final word once I'm done. Thanks for the Input

Reactions: sbluke55
1 - 11 of 11 Posts