Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Ford F-250 4x4 Dana 50 front end twin I beam.

I have a couple questions to ask and appreciate the answers.

First, I am replacing my front driver side bearings. I have just taken the outer nut off with the special socket, now it looks like there is another inner socket that requires some kind of special socket. Do I need a separate special socket to get the inner nut off? If so, what kind? Is there any trick to getting it off without a socket?

Second, I am also replacing my power steering gear box. I had to purchase a new pitman arm because the old one had a lot of play in it. I bought one off of ebay. The problem I am having now is once I get the bolt from the tie rod end through the pitman arm. How tight is the pitman arm suppose to be around the tie rod end bolt? I got the bolt through the pitman arm and went to tighten the screw down on it but the bolt is just turning in the tie rod end and pitman arm. This is the pitman arm I purchased.

Pitman Arm FORD F-150 F-250 F-350 Steering Low Price | eBay

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
There are two nuts with a washer in between. The outer nut holds the washer against the inner nut, the washer is keyed to keep the inner nut from turning. The pitman to the box should be 220-300 lb-ft. Pitman to drag link 75-105 lb-ft or 110-150 lb-ft on the 6-7k axles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts