Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Swapped out the steering gear box for a refurbished REMAN A1 i found on ebay, the guy accepted an offer of $220 shipped and i was on a budget. The steering feels rather loose, its hard to explain but its very light. I prefer a more tight and heavy steering feel, and thats what im used to on previous vehicles. Although this is my first truck of this kind, im curious to get some feedback. Is this light steering feel a common trait of these?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went through this with my 77’. Any reman steering gear not from BlueTop or Redhead is going to disappoint. Ive heard Cardone does very little aside from reseal the units and put them back up for sale. When i tried one i ended up adding a fresh steering damper just to make it feel some degree of tightness.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went through this with my 77’. Any reman steering gear not from BlueTop or Redhead is going to disappoint. Ive heard Cardone does very little aside from reseal the units and put them back up for sale. When i tried one i ended up adding a fresh steering damper just to make it feel some degree of tightness.
i gotta figure this out because i dont like the REMAN 1 and its a ***** to get on and off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
. its a * to get on and off.
i feel your pain sir, its a process nobody wants to do more than once. All i can say is you’ll love a steering box from those two companies.... I remember being super happy my 77’ frame wasnt busted up behind it.... #DentsideProblems

·
Administrator
30,904 Posts
I went thru 3 remans on my last truck all had different issues from the same reman place finally I went to autozone and got my core back and had it rebuit by a local pro
that box is still working fine 20 years later

I agree go blue top / red head or psc oversize ( or for AZ benchworks ) and avoid the run of the mill reman

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Z MANN got the recipe!! It's not a fun job to do but it's not the worst either lol.
I went with Redhead for my 03 recently and it feels IMO, like better than new

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went thru 3 remans on my last truck all had different issues from the same reman place finally I went to autozone and got my core back and had it rebuit by a local pro
that box is still working fine 20 years later

I agree go blue top / red head or psc oversize ( or for AZ benchworks ) and avoid the run of the mill reman
damn i should have done more research on this

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Z MANN got the recipe!! It's not a fun job to do but it's not the worst either lol.
I went with Redhead for my 03 recently and it feels IMO, like better than new

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
blue top seems a little more affordable than red , i wonder how much they will charge me if i sent them my original core first

·
Administrator
30,904 Posts
Seems like they would charge u 360 plus ship instead of 360 plus 200 core ;-)
probably easier to use their shipping box for your core return

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Not sure the steering stabilizer would work.

I have a loose steering also, and I found a drop or two of oil leaking from the steering stabilizer. I thought I found my problem. Swapped the steering stabilizer out and made no difference.

Bigger issues for me.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Not sure the steering stabilizer would work.

I have a loose steering also, and I found a drop or two of oil leaking from the steering stabilizer. I thought I found my problem. Swapped the steering stabilizer out and made no difference.

Bigger issues for me.
Check the stabilizer bar, at the bushing end. I didn't realize how bad mine was until I removed it..... Basically, I could have just bought a bushing, since the old one was, basically, gone. Fixed some serious steering wander though.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Check the stabilizer bar, at the bushing end. I didn't realize how bad mine was until I removed it..... Basically, I could have just bought a bushing, since the old one was, basically, gone. Fixed some serious steering wander though.
I bet its a whole lot of things with this being one of them. Someday, I’ll get around to fixing it or send it to the shop for them to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts