Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone have a diagram of how the steering column and its interior parts go together? I was looking into taking off the wheel and trying to replace the bearings in there. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Poke to the top... I just bought my '95, and the column is as sloppy as a... well, use your imagination and insert an appropriately sloppy thing. It's pretty bad.

Previous owner claims he took it in to a shop to have the turn signal replaced, and when they finished they had this bag of parts for him - bent slip rings, some coil spring, broken bits of plastic, shredded wires, etc. He didn't say whether they did it or if it was just 'like that', but it looks like someone took the interior apart with a hammer!

I bought it, knowing this issue, but thinking it would be easier to find a column for a decent price than it is! The last column I had to buy ('95 Jeep Cherokee, ours got FUBARed when thieves broke the column to start it) only cost $125 SHIPPED, and that was with tilt, cruise, and airbag! The cheapest price I've gotten for the '95 250 is $325!!

So, I'm looking into how to repair it myself, but can't find any diagrams for the column. I am going to try going to the dealer, but chances are they're just going to ask me to bring the truck in so THEY can fix it. Heck no, do I look like I have money growing out my ears?!

Does anyone have something to help us out here?! (sorry for the semi-hijack, I didn't want to post what might be a commonly-posted item)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nick,

Hey I had sloppy steering also. You could take the steering wheel and move it up and down about an inch. To fix it I just took it apart and it was the top bearing in the steering column. I had to pull the steering wheel off, my ignition, and the turn signal lever/switch housing to get to the bearing. Sounds like a lot but it took me an hour to fix. The bearing was from Ford and it cost me about $ 8. There is also another bearing at the bottom of the column but I didn't mess with it. The top one fixed my problem. Let me know if you need any more help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Okay, that gets me a LOT closer than I was before. I'll give it a look tomorrow night (tonight's already booked) and see what I see, and go from there. Thanks!

The little that I remember of the bag of parts, is that the three bent copper rings are called "clocksprings", and there's supposed to be a connector with spring-loaded copper contacts on either side of them that ride on those rings, to provide connection to the horn and cruise controls. Well, those are trashed, as is the plastic hub that seems to hold those in place, and as I said, the wires are shredded and the connectors are crunched. I'm going to call around to various area JYs and see if they have any for parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, Nick, I'm having the same problem. I removed the wheel and the turn signal switch. How do I remove the bearing? Just take off the C-clip, and pull it out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts