Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering box is about shot and a few years ago I've always heard that redhead steering boxes are the way to go and recently I've been hearing they suck. I seen a post about a guy putting in a 2012 steering box, didn't know that was possible but then the thread spirled into redhead vs non redhead lol. What steering box should I be looking for? My truck is lifted on 37x13.5. I don't do any towing or anything, now it just hauls tools when they won't fit in the Prius.

Also I have tried to adjust it to no avail and I did confirm that the shaft has play going into the box but nothing coming out of the box and the tie rods look good so I'm confident the box is bad.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Also, do you have an aftermarket stabilizer? I just put on a dual Bilstein stabilizer kit and it made a world of difference for my steering. If you don't, I would suggest that you install some sort of kit when replacing your steering box.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,718 Posts
some companies also sell an all new housing box with upgraded bearing area ( 05-9/07 Ford F250/F350 BIG BORE XD Steering Gear(Spline Input)

I have had the OEM box for 155,000 miles and all of that with 37's

i did have a lot of box slop when i bought it. but mine adjusted out ( 3 full turns of the adjuster done in increments over a few days )

when I need a box I may get one from PSC that is ported and capped for ram assist in case I ever want to add that

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll look into the blue top, I've seen a couple people recommending them.

I do have a single stabilizer, very old and I'm assuming just like my old shocks it's just there for looks lol

What is ram assist? Will I have to take the pitman arm off to do it? I know I will to do the box but I want to minimize the amount of times I do it lol, so if it has to be removed to do it then I'd probably do it while everything is off.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll look into the blue top, I've seen a couple people recommending them.

I do have a single stabilizer, very old and I'm assuming just like my old shocks it's just there for looks lol

What is ram assist? Will I have to take the pitman arm off to do it? I know I will to do the box but I want to minimize the amount of times I do it lol, so if it has to be removed to do it then I'd probably do it while everything is off.
Lol, whoever owned my truck before just cut mine off...

So I replaced with this: https://superlift.com/product-detail/92730?gclid=CjwKCAiAuK3vBRBOEiwA1IMhupIe7B71vFIZUFsLCZFXuEvItt0cphnR6e6zcM9PgUSU2RDJJrQZSRoChZQQAvD_BwE

These are supposed to be really nice, too: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/98224019-55358-2005-2016-F250-F350-4WD-BDS-Fox-20-Dual-Steering-Stabilizer-Kit.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAuK3vBRBOEiwA1IMhulTCsw-1-oSgY2-d5R1vfsMTDb5sAKOtXobp2Alw56Gl4BeQgbLDRBoCUJEQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts