Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a lot of slop in the steering wheel of my truck i was wondering what is involved with changing out the bearing that is back there. there is a lot of up and down slop as well as left and right. sometimes the steering wheel will kinda lock up while driving down the road i have to tug on it hard to make is stop.

·
Registered
662 Posts
subscribing...i have the same problem

·
Registered
205 Posts
i dono what all is involved my brother had this problem in his stroke and he changed the bushings out and it fixed the problem for like a week then those bushing took a crap. if i remember right they are a ford only part and they r like $30 a piece. IMO it would be easier to find a good collum at a junk yard and just change the whole thing out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just replaced my steering wheel bearing a few weeks ago. You will need the sleeve as well because its usually shot too. Get the parts at LMC Truck. Took me a couple hours, but I replaced the shift tube bushings as well because of slop there.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
^ he's right. Pretty easy job to do though it helps to have a friend to help get the spring back on. Get parts 5-8 and two of part 10. There was one part that LMC didn't have and I had to get it at my local Med. Duty Ford Dealer. Grease the washer that the spring rides on and the key mech slider bar (don't know what it's really called). And check check check that none of the little ball bearings get into the key start actuator lever thing that runs from the key down to the electrical start switch. I did a TOTAL upgrade and refresh of my steering system last year. Took the column completely apart and on reassembly one of those balls fell into the start mech. Had it all back together and couldn't turn the key had to take it all apart again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You need to take off the steering wheel and clock spring. There is a snap ring that needs to be removed and you can get the rest of the stuff out of there. Than you should be able to see the bearing. Mine is shot and has been for a long time. So long that it rubbed on the shaft till there isn’t enough left for a new bearing to ride on it correctly. It needs a new upper shaft but they are to expensive. So before you replace the bearing be sure to check that out. If the shaft is ok you can take a bearing removal hook tool and pull it out and replace it. Mine is to shot. I found some new columns on e-bay. but they are a little pricey. MT, is that a speedy sleeve for the upper shaft? That would be great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Never thought of a Speedi-Sleeve, but looking at their catalog, they probably have one that would work for you. I was referring to the sleeve at LMC that the bearing rides on - part #8.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea, I looked it up after I wrote that. It looks like the sleeve that Ford put there. I dont know if I can even use a Speedi-Sleeve there is so much metal missing. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a good used one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts