Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
around it stealing your plates and then going to the gas station and stealing fuel

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine came with one when I bought it but others have said it does way more $$$ damage if they break into it and steal your diesel then the cost of a tank of fuel.:doh:
Hmmm... What kind of damage are we talkin about?

I would also have to think that if you didn't have it locked you would fall victim more than once. I dunno though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Around here there have been alot people that have locking caps and the theives just pop a hole in the tank and drain it out the bottom.:doh:

I would rather loose a tank of diesel than have to replace my fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
A screwdriver and a hammer will open a gas cap.:nod:

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Around here there have been alot people that have locking caps and the theives just pop a hole in the tank and drain it out the bottom.:doh:

I would rather loose a tank of diesel than have to replace my fuel tank.
I can agree with that, I think.

But my thinking is this. They are going to get it no matter what, why not at least try to protect it? The assumption is that they are only going to steal fuel from you once. If you don't lock it up, how many times are they going to keep coming back to steal your fuel since they know it's not locked? That would be my only argument.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can agree with that, I think.

But my thinking is this. They are going to get it no matter what, why not at least try to protect it? The assumption is that they are only going to steal fuel from you once. If you don't lock it up, how many times are they going to keep coming back to steal your fuel since they know it's not locked? That would be my only argument.

Your right, but....if your in a situation were they can pump your fuel out repeatebly without anyone noticing, then either way they obviously have all sorts of time and cap or not they'll geet in.

The only way I see around it is by parking some were more visible to you or other people :dunno:

Or put a locking cap and door on and weld up a steel enclosure around the tank:confused:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
with fuel pushing five bucks a gallon if someone tried to steal mine and i caught them. has anyone ever heard the song "starin down the barrel of a 45" thats what would be hapening.

·
Registered
553 Posts
with my flat bed they just have to pull the hose off the filler next the suck it out. so either way there getting my fuel if they want it...

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Locks don't keep out thieves! They're for the honest folks ya know!!
They cut yer hose and take what they want or drill a hole in yer tank and that cost ya more than just fuel

·
Registered
435 Posts
The assumption is that they are only going to steal fuel from you once. If you don't lock it up, how many times are they going to keep coming back to steal your fuel since they know it's not locked? That would be my only argument.
They would get away with it once, Second time they will have a .45 or .308 hole in the head. If your a thief and you get shot, its a hazard of the job, don't come crying to me.

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Or put a locking cap and door on and weld up a steel enclosure around the tank:confused:
I have got to get a camera phone! A guy pulled up next to me at a light in an import sedan. God as my witness, the guy had a pad lock on the door to his gas cap, just like you would see on an out door shed. All I could think of his, "how many times has he been stolen from?"
Craig

·
Registered
590 Posts
They would get away with it once, Second time they will have a .45 or .308 hole in the head. If your a thief and you get shot, its a hazard of the job, don't come crying to me.
:agree: Amen brotha.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You might be a redneck if......:doh:

the guy had a pad lock on the door to his gas cap, just like you would see on an out door shed. All I could think of his, "how many times has he been stolen from?"
Craig

·
Registered
822 Posts
You could always do what I did, by accident. Put an old gas can with five gallons of water in it in the bed, was carrying it around in case another hose blew loose.

Sure enough, some moron grabbed the can and it looked like they emptied it into their car. Can was on it's side in the parking lot with the spout pulled out. Dang, buddy, didn't you notice the lack of gas smell? Doesn't take a lot of brains to be a thief.

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
You could always do what I did, by accident. Put an old gas can with five gallons of water in it in the bed, was carrying it around in case another hose blew loose.
I remember when you posted this. Hahaha to the jerk who took it.
Craig

·
Registered
772 Posts
Resurrecting this thread....I am looking for a locking cap recommendation. Not so much to keep people from stealing the Diesel, but from people pouring crap into my tank.

Being Five Oh and all, there have been some POV's that have been vandalised this way recently. Not to mention some kids in my neighborhood...Came out to go to work one morning and my filler door was open and my cap off.

I find that gas filler locks are like car alarms or clubs. They may be easy to get by, but turds are lazy, they will hit the cars without them instead...

Unfortunately no castle doctrine in my state....dang it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts