Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: Truck crapped out while towing 5-er. Nearest Ford dealer replaced the STC fitting in the HPOP one week ago. Solved my long-crank-cold-start problem at the same time. However...

Got a leak on the passenger side. Hitting the ground towards the rear of the tire. First I thought coolant because 2 weeks prior I replaced the hose running from heater hose to the bypass coolant filter. AND it was losing coolant over the last few days. (Today the coolant seemed fine.)

See pictures:

#1) Driveway this morning after starting up and backing out. A drip trail is left behind all the way out into the street. What is with the froth? Does NOT look like oil.

#2) Paper towel on Right = I dabbed the driveway when I got home (froth was gone) and the stain was dark (darker than a coolant spill). Then I crawled under and dabbed the droplets anxiously waiting to fall from the undercarriage = paper towel on Left. Plenty of liquid on the underside. Looks like oil. What's with the froth?

Theory to be confirmed tomorrow: My driveway is sloped. If I park nose down in my driveway it leaks but I do not see any leaking if I park nose up. I am going to test this theory again tomorrow morning when I cold start and back out. Currently parked nose down.

Note: I don't see leaking when I am running errands. Only after it sits for a while at home.

I intend to call the dealer tomorrow. Anyone know if I can take it to a local Dealer for resolution versus a 2 hours drive back to the Ford shop who didi the work??

Help. Ideas?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Windshield wiper fluid is all I can think of that may foam. perhaps leaking out of the rubber tubes?

Something like vinegar on a driveway could bubble.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
If the stc poped hard it might of cracked the rear cover . your leak might be comming from there

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This AM. Coolant on the drivers side. Backed up snd it dropped the frothy stuff on the pass.side. Coolant reservoir was lower than yday. I am wondering if coolant is traversing from driver to passenger side and picking up crud; such as undercoating. Taking truck Monday to my local mechanic to help find source.

It feels like coolant on my fingers

But it leaves dark stains not the reddish stains.

drivers side. I C red droplets

passenger side. Hint of red.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the stc poped hard it might of cracked the rear cover . your leak might be comming from there
Oh gads I hope not. Cannot imagine that cost.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Windshield wiper fluid is all I can think of that may foam. perhaps leaking out of the rubber tubes?

Something like vinegar on a driveway could bubble.
Nope, fluid in the tank but a good guess

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh gads I hope not. Cannot imagine that cost.
Diesel Tech Ron says to be careful and not pry on anything or you can crack the case.

If I had the tight tools I might do sone of my own wrenching. Then again, not sure my back would tolerate the leaning, and laying, across the engine.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I had my rear main housing cover replaced when I first bought the truck, because the STC fitting snapped and broke the cover. Once off, the shop showed me the old cover, and by pressing the crack, it would move slightly.

For the bubbling in the coolant, is it possible at some time the oil cooler was replaced and someone put a soap in to clean the oil out? Should be a non-sudsing automatic dishwasher soap. If a complete flush is not done, only about a half or 2/3 rds the coolant comes out.

I see it looks like the leak is dripping over the heating element. For me when I had fluid dripping over the heating element, the metal tube behind the blue EGR hose broke and leaked under pressure. Most who have a leak coming from that area it's a bad blue hose. No sign of it leaking from that metal crack for me until I turned the truck on and pressure built up, then it leaked out slightly. I was losing a gallon of coolant per a 70 mile drive for that one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my rear main housing cover replaced when I first bought the truck, because the STC fitting snapped and broke the cover. Once off, the shop showed me the old cover, and by pressing the crack, it would move slightly.
For the bubbling in the coolant, is it possible at some time the oil cooler was replaced and someone put a soap in to clean the oil out? Should be a non-sudsing automatic dishwasher soap. If a complete flush is not done, only about a half or 2/3 rds the coolant comes out.
I see it looks like the leak is dripping over the heating element. For me when I had fluid dripping over the heating element, the metal tube behind the blue EGR hose broke and leaked under pressure. Most who have a leak coming from that area it's a bad blue hose. No sign of it leaking from that metal crack for me until I turned the truck on and pressure built up, then it leaked out slightly. I was losing a gallon of coolant per a 70 mile drive for that one.
"the metal tube behind the blue EGR hose"

Ok, you got me on this one. Where do I find such metal tube and blue hose? Thx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts