Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Back in January my truck began starting harder when the engine is cold (weather is not a factor here), cranking for about 5-7 seconds before it starts. The truck had about 36,000 miles on it at the time the problem began. It has been back to the dealer several times for that, but they just can't find the problem. So far they have replaced the Fuel Injection Control Module wire connector, and the Injector Control Pressure fitting kit and branch tube.

Anybody have any ideas what they might be missing before I take it back there yet one more time? Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cold as in sitting over night. Again, weather is not a factor here. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so it doesn't get very cold. It starts just as hard on Summer mornings as it does on Winter mornings.

·
Registered
597 Posts
what year truck? any mods/ tuners, etc...

·
Registered
84 Posts
cycle the glow plugs 3 or 4 times

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an '06 F250 King Ranch, no mods. I 'll give it a try cycling the glow plugs, but am hoping to find a fix for it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
plug the truck in and see if that helps start it...if so, mite be be ur glow plugs or the relay !!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
was this a gradual thing, or all of a sudden, like after an oil change?

·
Registered
597 Posts
have you checked basics? Fuel pressure? Air Filter, 5 to 7 seconds is not real long crank times, but it is a bit on the longer end. Once it starts, how does it run cold? When it warms up, how does it run? Have they checked the FICM voltages?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I realize 5-7 seconds isn't that long, could be much worse, but it is longer than it was. Especially when I hear my neighbor start his '96 F250 with 250,000 miles on it in about 2 seconds.

The air filter is still in good shape. The dealer replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the FICM wire connector, so I think there is a pretty good chance they checked the fuel pressure and the FICM voltage. It runs great once it starts, warm or cold.

Firestroke mentioned earlier to cycle the glow plugs a few times. I tried that, and it does shave a second or 2 off the starting time. But it takes way longer to do that than crank it a little longer. However, that is worth telling the dealer when I take it in again.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Normal cranking time for a 6.0 is 3-5 seconds!What needs to be done is ,have a IDS hooked up and moniter the ICP,IPR ,pids and see if the computer is seeing the right pressures for the high pressure oil side of it! Also,check youre chargen system! Cause if the ficm doesnt see 12.98 ,over time it can cause some problems ! There is some other things it could be too but its hard to diagnose something with out seeing it youre self !

·
Registered
597 Posts
what about GPM??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts