Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a problem recently when starting my truck after it has sat for 8+ hrs. It will fire off and then die. Turn the key off and restart the truck and it'll run rough for a few seconds and then lines right out and runs perfect.Almost like it is getting air. I'm about to make a 3000 mile trip pulling 10k+ and would like to get this resolved before leaving. I'm thinking fuel pump problem and haven't had the time to check it out. Do you guys have any ideas as to where I should start, or other ideas of what it could be to save me some time?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a guage on the regulated return. I was thinking about getting the wife to crank it in the morning while I watched the fuel pressure guage. I haven't installed the in-cab guage yet. I'll check the reservoir levels in the morning also. I'm curious as to why you say check it after it dies. What's the method to your madness here Dirk( what would this indicate)?

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I didn't see the reg return. That's my fault.

Hpop may be low after sitting. If it is, it may fire the injectors until pressure drops enough to kill the injectors. After cranking it back up, the lpop may catch up and finally supply enough oil to the hpop.

Just a theory.

At which point I would highly recommend getting a snap-on scanner or AE on the truck and watch the data stream to pin point what may be going on.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to mention that regulated pressure is set to 68PSI (when it is running). Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't see the reg return. That's my fault.

Hpop may be low after sitting. If it is, it may fire the injectors until pressure drops enough to kill the injectors. After cranking it back up, the lpop may catch up and finally supply enough oil to the hpop.
Good idea! In fact, that sounds very plausible.

Just a theory.

At which point I would highly recommend getting a snap-on scanner or AE on the truck and watch the data stream to pin point what may be going on.
I have a modis. What all would you suggest watching? ICP and what else?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back the pressure down to 60-62psi. See how she runs.
These stage II's are split shots and that's the reason I am running them so high. I wish I would have went ahead and put in some single shots like the mini-me's. Do you think backing off the pressure will help any?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. (10 letter minimum)
Ok. I'll back it off tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know what I find out. 10 letter min sux.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I think I've found the problem. Before starting this morning, checked the HPOP reservoir and the level was way down in it. Put the chip in no start, rolled the motor over until the HPOP reservoir was full, then fired it off and it ran fine.

What is causing the drainback of the HPOP reservoir?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, thanks. I'll try to get er dun today.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did the contribution test several times. Nothing showed up. You may be right on the injector o-rings. I put new ones on when I rebuilt the motor 1500 miles ago but I've had stranger things happen. I may also try to change the gasket between the timing cover and the pump to see if that helps.:dunno:

Just trying to get this fixed before I head to Colorado for a month.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
if the truck starts that tells me it isnt draining back , that tells me the oil is in the rails and in the pump but , sucks the reservoir dry because the oil pump isnt catching up fast enough , how many miles are on this truck

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reservoir was empty before starting the truck this morning. New motor has less than 1500 miles on it. Truck has 138K on it. Original HPOP.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The HPOP is probably one of the only things that is still original. Can you explain more Scuffy? I have to change computers and will be back in 15 min.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Measured it (oil level) again this morning. Level is right about even with where the reservoir meets the top of the gear case approximately 4 1/2" down from the top. I stuck the dipstick straight down thru the plug hole until it hit the bottom and just barely had any oil on the tip. I could stick the dipstick slightly to the right and go down into the case but it appears that the level is right at the point where the top half of the reservoir is bolted to the bottom.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts