Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered a 100 times but can't find a related topic. Bought a 96 f350 that the owner hasn't started in 5 or 6 years. Put a set of new batteries and fuel filter in it, what else should I be doing if I want it to turn over? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is there fuel in the tank,,, assuming it is also 5 to 6 yrs old? Did you check the oil, what does it look like on dipstick? Give consideration to all fluids that have been sitting idle for the mount of time in various heat and cooling cycles of local environment (has vehicle been outside or in a barn for example)?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I put a fuel filter in the fuel smelled good and like it should. The oil looked fairly new like it had been changed shortly before he parked it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would differently change the oil. Maybe pull the glow plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders and remove the fuse for the fuel pump and turn the motor over. You dont want it to start. You need some oil on the cylinder walls before you start the truck. Check the air filter to make sure no one set up shop in the intake. You can change the antifreeze after you get the truck started. You may want to put a additive in the fuel tank then add some fresh fuel to the tank.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Is it not turning over (starter not spinning the engine) or is it cranking but not starting? Here are some more tests you can do that only costs your time:

For checking the injector/glowplug wiring: From each valvecover gasket connection's outermost pins (2 per connector) to ground you should get 0.1 to 2 ohms (indicates good plug and wiring). From each valvecover gasket connection's center pin to each immediately adjacent pin, you should get around 3 ohms (indicates good injector solenoid and wiring). You should not get any continuity from any of the outer pins to the 3 inner pins (indicates no shorts between injector and glowplug wiring). You should also get 0 to 1 ohms from each of the external harness connectors outer pins back to the Glowplug Relay's large terminal on the GP side (indicates good wiring from external connections back to the relay).

To check the glowplug relay (GPR), measure the voltage drop across the GPR's large terminals. While the GPR is active (up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is turned to Wait-to-Start) put your meter leads on the large terminals (one lead on one large terminal and the other lead on the other large terminal). This measures how much voltage is being "lost" across the relay. A reading of 0.3V or more indicates a bad relay. Also, check the relay’s control wires (smaller wires) disconnected from the relay for battery voltage at the Red/Light Green striped wire and ground at the Purple/Orange striped wire (check both when the key is turned to Wait-to-Start).

Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine sat from 2015 to just a few months ago, 6 yrs. I got white smoke on start up, checked oil levels (engine & HPOP), cranked it a few more times before swapping out batteries. Put new batteries on over-night charge to be sure they were fully charged, changed the CPS, eliminated the majority of white smoke during cranking over. Also plugged the block heater in to give it some help (overnight). It fired and runs like a top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts