Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is hard to explain. Sometimes when I start my truck it takes a little longer to start then other times. Meaning sometimes after about a crank or two it'll fire right up, while other times it may take four or five. Is this normal? Anyone else experiance this? Ones it does fire up she runs great.

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
i have the exact same issue with mine. Sometimes it'll fire right up, and other times it cranks for 5 seconds or so and then kinda sputters to a start. :dunno: i especially notice it when i have lower fuel amount in my truck. Like 1/2 1/4 tank.

Was thinking about droppin it off at the dealership to try a reflash, but im curious to see what you guys have to say...

·
Registered
350 Posts
i have the exact same issue with mine. Sometimes it'll fire right up, and other times it cranks for 5 seconds or so and then kinda sputters to a start. :dunno: i especially notice it when i have lower fuel amount in my truck. Like 1/2 1/4 tank.

Was thinking about droppin it off at the dealership to try a reflash, but im curious to see what you guys have to say...

same thing here ......... not sure wat to do about it , kinda freekin me out

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i have the same exact problem and i have been told that my icp is going bad. i have also heard from another member on here had the same problem with low power too and replaced the icp and fixed both problems

·
Registered
350 Posts
i have the same exact problem and i have been told that my icp is going bad. i have also heard from another member on here had the same problem with low power too and replaced the icp and fixed both problems
whats the ICP?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
injection control pressure sensor. its on back side of head under turbo

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,273 Posts
It is on the passenger side valve cover for late model 04's and newer year models.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, well no lack of power issues or sputtering once started. She runs like a grape ape, just odd that sometimes it'll fire right up with only one turn over and others with a few more cranks. Oh well, I'll wait and see how things go. My wife just drove her on an 1100 mile trip and she said the truck did fine, averaged about 14 mpg and that's with stock gears on 37's...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Might also check for a fuel leak. I have a slight one, every so often find a few drops of diesel on the ground where it was parked. I suppose I should dig into it and find that leak, but got more pressing problems right now.

Drive it every day, it starts fine. Let it sit for a week, and it takes a lot of cranking to get it fired.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i had the same issue, did a reflash and started using stanadyne - helped out a lot

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just changed my fuel filters, so we'll see if that does anything. They had roughly 15K on them, so I figured they were due. I use Diesel Kleen (grey bottle) and Lucas religiously, where can you get stanadyne?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and progresivly got worse then would not start at all. It was a o-ring on a dumby plug in the oil rail. I hear it is a real common problem in the 06 model year also

1 - 14 of 14 Posts