Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sometimes when i turn my key to ON and i wait for my "wait to start" light to go off, as soon as i turn the key it makes a "clicking" sound for a sec as soon as the "wait to start" light comes on. (this started about a week ago and only does it sometimes) well last night im changing my oil everything goes good. so i run up the road about a mile to the gas station. i come back out to my truck and when i go to start it the "wait to start" light goes off but the truck just cranks when i try to start it. so i turn off the key make sure my TW chip is still in place correctly. so i try it again and the truck starts up fine. So then the truck sits over night and i go to start it this morning and when the key is turned to "on" i get that clicking sound again and all the guage lights that usually come on are kind of flickering like it has very little power. so again i do a quick once over and make sure everything is in place. and the truck starts up no problem on the 2nd try. Any thoughts?:dunno:

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Change the CPS, if still persists, remove the chip, sounds like a classic loose chip to me, or CPS, you should have a spare anyway so it doesn't cost anything to replace it.

NCH

·
Registered
435 Posts
Check battery connections, and health of the batteries, takes a bunch of power to run the glow plugs, ECM and crank fast enough to lite it off. If your voltage drops below something like 10.5 VDC while cranking it wont start.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i have now noticed that my volt meeter will drop down pretty low on the guage i had the batt. disconected like 2 weeks ago so the connections may be the problem

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Don't leave it up to the machines at AZ to test your batteries. Mine tested fine, for a Yugo, but wouldn't kick the beast over. Two fresh batteries ( Duralst Golds 875CCA) and all is good.

NCH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts