Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so i was towing my boat home 2 weekends ago and coming up the grade i blew my stock turbo out. My mods that i have now are in my sig. Here is what i have planned and maybe you guys can help me figure out what im missing. And also have a few Q's about each mod.

Mod list that is being ordered tomorrow.

Been chatting with CT performance and here is what we came up with.

GT38r turbo
Cassery(might be wrong spelling) Stage one single shot injectors
High pressure oil cross over
Upgrading the Valve Springs
Replacing the glow plugs(might as well while im in there)

Parts from other venders
Regulated return kit
Air-dog II

Now i was reading on strictly diesel website and they dont recommend the Air-dog 2 for the 7.3 can someone please clarify what this is all about.

Also if i do the air-dog 2 do i still have to run a post pump filter?

If i dont run the air-dog 2 should i keep the fuel bowl. It just doesnt make sense to me to delete it if i still have to put a post pump filter.

Lastly what problems am i going to run into while changing over to these mods.

Thanks
CHRIS

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ok guys so i was towing my boat home 2 weekends ago and coming up the grade i blew my stock turbo out. My mods that i have now are in my sig. Here is what i have planned and maybe you guys can help me figure out what im missing. And also have a few Q's about each mod.

Mod list that is being ordered tomorrow.

Been chatting with CT performance and here is what we came up with.

GT38r turbo
Cassery(might be wrong spelling) Stage one single shot injectors
High pressure oil cross over
Upgrading the Valve Springs
Replacing the glow plugs(might as well while im in there)

Parts from other venders
Regulated return kit
Air-dog II

Now i was reading on strictly diesel website and they dont recommend the Air-dog 2 for the 7.3 can someone please clarify what this is all about.

Also if i do the air-dog 2 do i still have to run a post pump filter?

If i dont run the air-dog 2 should i keep the fuel bowl. It just doesnt make sense to me to delete it if i still have to put a post pump filter.

Lastly what problems am i going to run into while changing over to these mods.

Thanks
CHRIS
Not a bad list, any current hp goals as far as numbers go?

well from my understanding most people don't recommend the air dog 2 because its a lot of money for a not so great fuel system, where are you getting your RR (regulated return) from? You might just wanna have a vendor like Irate diesel performance build the whole fuel system. Feel free to look into other vendors, he was just the one i know of that will do the whole shabang. He priced a whole system for my 7.3 at 1350$ that has the following
Code:
5/8" stainless pickup tube, 801-10 push-lok from tank to pre-pump
filter, Baldwin pre/post pump filters with Baldwin filter heads, fuel
bracket with mounting hardware, Fuelab 41401 pump, 801-8
push-lok line to motor, Irate regulated return fuel system with
Fuelab regulator, 801-6 to tank.
Probably the best bang for your buck too. Your probably making the smart choice sticking to stage 1's considering you have a pmr block. Don't forget if you don't have single shot injectors now your going to have to send your chip out to be retuned to all the new stuff and to run those injectors.

I've never heard any gains from HPx line but that one is up to you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping for 400 HP. We will see it might come just below that. I'm looking at getting the rr from sinister diesel. That fuel system is pretty pricey. I can get the rr and airdog 2 for 1100 bucks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm hoping for 400 HP. We will see it might come just below that. I'm looking at getting the rr from sinister diesel. That fuel system is pretty pricey. I can get the rr and airdog 2 for 1100 bucks.
The extra money is well worth it, and the airdog 2 and the RR doesn't include everything that does not to mention fuelab reg's and pumps are far superior and I won't say better filtered because I can't be sure of that but all in all better made and made to work together, not just pieced together. Most people i've talked to don't recommend air dog and I can't really think of someone who has.

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
honestly dude you dont need a full fuel system, rr is fine, the stocker will support a set of 160's. and to get 400 you prolly gonna have to get an srp1. who is tunin? pmr has nothin to do with the block there hoss hints the term powdered metal rods!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bruce Thanks for the advice. Y would I need an srp1 when the single shots take less oil than the stock split shots. Cary is going to be reburning my chip.

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
i mean you don't have an srp1 but if you want to see 400 i really think you'll need it. oil is king in our engines and the srp1 will flow a ton of oil. for 700 i believe its a solid investment especially if your engine has a lot of miles

·
Registered
400 Posts
honestly dude you dont need a full fuel system, rr is fine, the stocker will support a set of 160's. and to get 400 you prolly gonna have to get an srp1. who is tunin? pmr has nothin to do with the block there hoss hints the term powdered metal rods!!!
Lol no ****? i use the term block as a generalization that is pmr rods in the block, most people don't put them in after the fact so usually if its a pmr block it came with.... oh yah pmr rods.

Bruce Thanks for the advice. Y would I need an srp1 when the single shots take less oil than the stock split shots. Cary is going to be reburning my chip.
You probably wouldn't need an SRP1 for that much power, as long as your HPOP is in good order then there really shouldn't need it, and if your's doesn't cut it then you could get a t-500 that would be more then sufficient for what you need. You will def need a reburnt chip tho. All depends on you, an SRP1 would be great if you want to expand your hp goal later as I believe it can support 500+ no problem.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So when's this all happening and are we gonna see you out at the track?
John I'm ordering all the parts Monday and hopefully get here by the end of next week so it should be back up and running next weekend did you get your egr cooler fixed at all?

Any tips to give me in changing injectors and other parts?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You probably wouldn't need an SRP1 for that much power, as long as your HPOP is in good order then there really shouldn't need it, and if your's doesn't cut it then you could get a t-500 that would be more then sufficient for what you need. You will def need a reburnt chip tho. All depends on you, an SRP1 would be great if you want to expand your hp goal later as I believe it can support 500+ no problem.
yea thats what i was thinking that could do it later.

·
Registered
400 Posts
yea thats what i was thinking that could do it later.
From what everyone seems to say SRP1's are great regardless of stock or aftermarket and can show gains in almost any situation while still being able to fill the shoes of a large HP build. Unless you really wanna go all out and get a terminator or stealth twin pumps. $$$$

Best of the luck with the build regardless and I hope it turns out great for you!

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
John I'm ordering all the parts Monday and hopefully get here by the end of next week so it should be back up and running next weekend did you get your egr cooler fixed at all?
Yeah, I got the bulletproof kit installed finally.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what everyone seems to say SRP1's are great regardless of stock or aftermarket and can show gains in almost any situation while still being able to fill the shoes of a large HP build. Unless you really wanna go all out and get a terminator or stealth twin pumps. $$$$

Best of the luck with the build regardless and I hope it turns out great for you!
thanks. my bank acct is only letting me do so much right now. im just trying to have a reliable street truck that has some get up and go. I still have to use it to tow my toyhauler and boat.
Yeah, I got the bulletproof kit installed finally.

nice man i bet that was a pretty penny.

·
Registered
564 Posts
How's the build coming along?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How's the build coming along?
Its all done now. Turned out great! I'm a little in happy with the stage ones but that all might change now that I scheduled time with Jody from dp-tuner to live tune my truck next month. And I'm going to invest in a srp1 and an airdog and fuel tank mod.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
597 Posts
Did you mean you are unhappy with the stage 1's? I'm not the grammar police but I've been trying to figure out if I want the stage 2's I'm sure if I'd be happy enough with 1's or not? What don't you like about them as of right now? Not enough get up and go as you were expecting?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes sorry i was typing from my phone and sometimes it auto corrects it to another word. Yea just not enough get up and go. I thought it was going to be alot faster than what it is. But again we will see what happens after Jody tunes it. I just feel that the turbo is not being used enough. On my 140 race tune im only boosting 24-25 psi. If i had to do it over again i would go with stage 2's or hybrids.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Cool I'm definitely just gonna go with 2's since I have pmr's. I doubt I'll ever rebuild the motor so hybrids would be useless to me. Thanks for the insight. I'm sure Jody can liven it up for. Unfortunately I'm to far away for a live tune.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live in california. And when i found out he was coming i was all stoked. Never thought any tuner would come to california for live tuning. But still a 2 hour drive to where he will be but its all worth it in the end.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts