Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know ur not suppoesd to use it since my 6.9 has glow plugs, but my plugs went bad last winter, so i used it a few times then put in new plugs and havent used it since, but i am now runnig wvo in it and it has a hard time starting due to running the wvo. when i go to start it (for the first time of the day) it cranks and cranks, and usually then i have to charge the batt b4 it starts.. so can i just shoot it with ether on a regular basis, only when it is cold of course, and will it be ok besides destroying the glow plugs.
or will i eventually have engine probs.

thanks

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
i think i read in diesel power mag that starting fluid was recommended for the 6.9's for some reason. cant remember why tho. ill have to find it and post it for you.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I would recommend not using it for any any purpose. It is very "dry". That means that it lacks any lubricative properties, and is very hard on valves, cylinder walls, pistons, etc. What works better is a rag soaked with a little gasoline. It will not cause that horrifying rattle and preignition that ether does. More than that, it probably won't hurt your glow plugs.

Another thing about glow plugs.. When they go out, they just quit working. When they are destroyed by ether, they are DESTROYED by ether. That means metal and ceramic bits all over the insides of your cylinders and valves. Not too cool.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
today, since it was warm, the 6.9 started great, but yesterday it was cold so it wouldnt start and killed the batteries, so can i use starter fluid on it. i cant plug it in because it sits out in the field and i use it too pull wagons, its no were near elctric
thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
just remember that the motor will become "addicted" to the either after awhile, and will not start without it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
you should put diesel in one of you tanks and befor you turn the truck off try to run the diesel though the lines. fyi i have to thin the oil out with kerosene helps for the cold weather start.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
You use a gasoline soaked rag instead of ether in the intake. Let the gasoline vapor do the job instead of ether.

Also, the reason why a diesel "becomes addicted" to ether is because more and more of the glow plugs are dying, and therefore harder to start without ether.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I use either when I have too, I got a 7.3. when we run an excavator or something else out of fuel at work it takes like 2 cans to start it. they run fine. Its about being smart. so for the regular guy, i would say dont, but its not a solution for glow plugs or wvo

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You use a gasoline soaked rag instead of ether in the intake. Let the gasoline vapor do the job instead of ether.

Also, the reason why a diesel "becomes addicted" to ether is because more and more of the glow plugs are dying, and therefore harder to start without ether.
so i just put the rag on the intake when its soaked with gas and it wont hurt the glowpulgs like either?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
its the fact that it burns so rich and is uncontrolable. run away diesel can happen, and then you throw a rod at your head, or blow your glow plugs out of the holes, Ive even seen people blow there intake into orbit

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I blew the hell out of an old massey tractor with starting fluid/ether, don't use it.

WD-40 has worked great for me since.
I love the rush of it.:doh:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts