Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new here and new to owning a PSD. I just bought an '03 with the 7.3 back in April. It has 102,000 miles on it and after owning it just this short time I'm having a few issues. The 1st issue is a starting problem. After driving around town or anywhere for that matter, after coming to normal operating temp I can shut the motor off and it wont start back for at least 5 minutes. Once it cools a little bit it starts back up just fine. This isn't normal is it? The 2nd issue is a stalling problem. This one just came up the other day. While sitting at a red light or stop sign if i leave gently pressing the throttle it leaves fine but if I leave any harder than that it stalls and dies. This combined with the not starting back for at least 5 min has left me stranded in the road twice in the last 2 days. Any help on this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Yes this isn't normal. I would have it scanned for codes first. A code reader from Autozone won't read our trucks as they aren't OBDII compliant. If you are close to me I will scan the codes for you. Could be a CPS problem, for what they cost it may be worth it to buy a couple and replace the old one with a new one and you should carry a spare anyway.
NCH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey NCHornet, thanks for the offer where are you located? I'm in Hendersonville. I planned on picking up a cps on friday. Gotta wait for payday. I notice yesterday that the truck was low on oil. So i added the oil but that didnt fix anything. It did the same thing coming to work this morning. The 2 issues i'm having only occur at normal operating temp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. I installed a grey CPS that i got from the local International dealer and repaired some naked wires i found on a sensor at the base of the fuel bowl. The sensor kinda looks like a solenoind and was on a bolt stud at the base of the fuel bowl and it is held in place by a fitting and a nut. What i also found was that the fitting and nut had come off and were laying on top of the block. Long story short, it seems to have fixed my problems for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts