Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a weird problem and wonder if anyone can help. Here are the details:

1999 7.3 Diesel Super Duty Power Stroke

When the truck is in park and you turn the key to start position, it starts the vehicle and keeps engaging the starter. If put into neutral and start the key to start position, it starts normal and you can put it into reverse or drive and is fine. But if you stop and put into Park position, it engages the starter again. So I have to stop in neutral or reverse and turn off key before I put it into park. With the key off, in park, it doesn't send power to the starter. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

A friend said it could be a wire touching in the starter or near the starter. If so, how do I find it?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I am going to have to disaggree with your friend. I believe you have a short up in the steering column. That is most likely where the problem is. I would get a service manual like a chiltons or haynes that has the wiring diagrams in it. Then remove the plastic cover from the steering column. Most likely you have a wire that is shorting out when the vehicle is in park due to the gear shifter.

At the starter you have a ground wire, a wire from the battery and a small wire coming from the ignition switch. So I can not see how the problem would be at the starter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply!

I really appreciate your input and will check it out and keep the group posted....

thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts