Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 F 350 crew cab. I have had the truck for over 20 years. It has a ZF 6 Super Duty tranny. I was in 4 low recently due to a heavy load and the starter just randomly engaged. Most of the time it would shut off after a few seconds. Some times it would keep running until I shut the truck off. Whats weird is that it seems to only do it in 4 low and with the wheels turned all the way to the right. I had a brand DB electrical starter in the box and I put that in. I still have the same problem. I am really worried about doing damage to the fly wheel. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
faulty ignition switch???i dont believe these have any moving parts with the wheel inside of the columb, just the slider that engages the traces on the switch. wonder if 4 low was just a coincidence. maybe check starter for anything bridging the 12v switch circuit from the constant 12 volt. if all else fails, remove the 12 volt switching wire and cap it off and install a push button start using a new fresh switched ignition source. just a quick fix but ittl get it operating at least

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Josh. The 4 low thing was definitely a coincidence. It has since done it in 2 wheel drive. Could i just change the ignition switch?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i would pull it apart and see if anything has broken off, its a really simple design and not hard to replace with patience. the little spring inside that makes the key turn back in the column might be worn out or disloged. hit a bump just right might cause it to touch the terminals together in the switch? id say pull er apart!

·
Registered
19 Posts
another thing to is a bad starter solenoid. could have burned up internals and something is moving inside it while driving, id say check there first. there wont be a 12v switch on it until key is turned but there is constant 12v on the big terminal off the battery. it may be on its way out and the little piston that moves around in there is bouncing around and making the starter fire off. just a better idea i figure id mention

1 - 6 of 6 Posts