Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had something interesting happen on Friday. Went in to a store to purchase my wife a B-Day present. Came out and tried to start my truck. Nothing but grinding coming from the starter. When I looked under my truck both starter bolts had vibrated (I'm assuming) off. Had to call my wife (she got her present early) and have her take me to the local Ford dealership and purchase new bolts. The truck does have 162,000 miles but, I have never heard of this happening before. Has anyone else heard of this?:dunno:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I have replaced my starter twice. Both times I have found at least one of the start bolts loose. Since then I have put loctite on the bolts and I have checked them every other oil change. So far they have not been found loose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I did use red locktite on the threads when I re-installed. I hope it keeps them in!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have replaced my starter twice. Both times I have found at least one of the start bolts loose. Since then I have put loctite on the bolts and I have checked them every other oil change. So far they have not been found loose.
Shoot, Good info.:thumb:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Ok the first time I replaced the starter, the starter was just bad. Kinda like your situation. I went to the mall. When I came out truck would not start. Would not click, wouldn't do nothing. I had the truck towed home. The next morning off to the parts store for a new starter. Problem solved, the second time was the little wire on the starter kept coming loose. Ending up with the hole for the screw that holds the wire tight to the starter becoming stripped out. So lifetime warranty I replaced the starter for free. Then again for some reason that little bolt would not stay tight. So once again I replaced the starter again lifetime warranty. But this time I put a nut and bolt in place of that little screw. I put loc tite on that little nut and bolt. Since then I have not had a problem.

Now the mounting bolts the two times I had to replace the starter with the an aftermarket one. I found the bolts loose that held the starter in place. So the last time I replaced it I put loc tite on the bolts. Like I already said the bolts are still tight to this day.

Also if you have a 2002 F-250 and the starter goes out and you can't find the 2002 starter. You can use the older starter that requires three bolts to hold it in place. Just go to the hardware store and get a grade 8 bolt that is the same threads and length of the original starter bolts. The 2002 7.3L psd has the third bolt hole there. But the 2002 starter from the factory is a high torque starter and only required 2 bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts