Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hopped in my truck today, went into reverse and backed out of the drive way, no issues. I went into first and tried to take off. The truck acted like it wanted to move but also acted like the park brake was still on or something of that sort. I tried a few times to take off with no luck. I then tried to start off in second with the same result. I shifted back into reverse and the truck took off with no problems. Once again, I tried to move forward without any luck. I started to smell something burning so I shut the truck down. I looked underneath and saw some oil or something coming out of (sorry, I'm still learning the names/locations of some parts) the transfer case. It was coming out of the area where the bar comes into it from the front differential. Any suggestions on what it might be? I'd like to have at least a vague idea of what's wrong before I tow it into the shop :please:

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If it was a x-fer case issue I wouldnt see why it would only work one direction.

Did you check the fluid in the x-fer case and transmission? Is the fluid low? burnt? strange colors?

It sounds like my e4od when it began to go out. I could run in R GREAT but drive was pretty rough.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Simple test. Unbolt the forward drive shaft and see if this fixes it. Trying to isolate the front axle from the X-case. When you where trying to go forward was the steering tires pointing straight ahead or where they pretty turned to one side? My initial thought is that the oil leak was there already and what the problem is the steering tire U-Joints are locking up.

·
Registered
542 Posts
What year truck? I had a direct drive clutch solenoid bad and it caused the same thing.. It would go in reverse but feel like the e-brake was on when trying to go forward. Its the center solenoid on the back row. You will have to drop the pan, but its easy to get to and swap out.. Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year truck? I had a direct drive clutch solenoid bad and it caused the same thing.. It would go in reverse but feel like the e-brake was on when trying to go forward. Its the center solenoid on the back row. You will have to drop the pan, but its easy to get to and swap out.. Good luck.
It's a 97. That is exactly the symptom I was having today when I tried it. Reverse, no problem, it did move forward today but felt as if the brake was on as you said. I will give that a try, thanks!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It's a 97. That is exactly the symptom I was having today when I tried it. Reverse, no problem, it did move forward today but felt as if the brake was on as you said. I will give that a try, thanks!
not too sure if a 97 has a direct cutch solenoid ... i think he is talking about a 6.0 or a 6.4 with the 5r110

1 - 6 of 6 Posts