Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve tried reading other forums but it seems none fit my exact problem. I have a 03 6.0. It start having cranking problems. It would crank then immediately stall out. After 2-3 times it would fire up then run perfect like it always had. Then after not driving it for about 3 days it did again then finally turned over but ran horribly. Heard a miss, had a dramatic loss in power white smoking. Occasional black smoke. I got home and shut it off waited about 30ish minutes then attempted to turn it over it had a real long crank then it bogged down then slowly caught up and turned over ( it’s hard to explain hopefully someone gets what I’m saying) I took it around the block to see if I missed any sounds or signs and i had next to no power, I mean I had the pedal matted and I was doing maybe 20 miles an hour. Right as I turned into my drive she stalled out again. I got a p2290 code a couple of times. Any ideas? I’ve got it tore down to the injectors be cause one of my (so claimed) diesel genius buddies swore it was the injectors. Any ideas?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,591 Posts
I would lean towards it being an injector. Did/does the exhaust smell like raw fuel? The slow crank sounds like it is trying to hydro-lock.

An injector over-fueling can cause some major damage. If that is what it is, you shouldn't be driving it.

That said, P-2290 is saying there is a high-pressure oil issue. Do you have anything to monitor the engine parameters?

How about the EGR system? Is it still intact?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would lean towards it being an injector. Did/does the exhaust smell like raw fuel? The slow crank sounds like it is trying to hydro-lock.

An injector over-fueling can cause some major damage. If that is what it is, you shouldn't be driving it.

That said, P-2290 is saying there is a high-pressure oil issue. Do you have anything to monitor the engine parameters?

How about the EGR system? Is it still intact?

The EGR has even deleted since the truck was almost brand new. I’m not longer driving the truck as it is tore down in my garage. It did smell like fuel. I have a bully dog gt so I can monitor parameters while it’s running but not while cranking.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,591 Posts
You need to download ForScan Lite to a smartphone and get the appropriate ELM327 OBDII adapter (WiFi for iOS and Bluetooth for Android). This will be a more thorough code reader and can pull engine parameters. With it you can read cranking data also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to download ForScan Lite to a smartphone and get the appropriate ELM327 OBDII adapter (WiFi for iOS and Bluetooth for Android). This will be a more thorough code reader and can pull engine parameters. With it you can read cranking data also.

I’ll definitely look into that!

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Was the EGR cooler removed or welded? if welded those can still leak sometimes at the welds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts