Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Stage 1 vs stage II injectors on stock-ish parts

10K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  85_305 
#1 ·
Hey guys.. I've been thinking about sinking a few bucks into old girl lately. Here's my question. Stage I's vs Stage II's.

I'm NOT installing an IC. Maybe in the future I'll install a 17*. But for now, no. I'm getting a good vb and tc, and beans tuning. When I get new sticks, I'll get retuned for them.

With stage 1 sticks beans claims he can pretty much guarantee 360-380whp with his tuning on an OBS. With stage II, he says he can guarantee between 420whp and 440whp on an OBS w/ stock turbo. Quite a difference, but not in price (I'm going with roses).

So here's my question. Since I wont be IC'ing my truck, the stage1's should be fine... what about stage II's? I've heard of people runnign stage II's stock turbo. My question is, if I go with stage II's and get it tuned good, will I have a big problem with egt's and produce a ton of un ueaseable power? Or will i be able to control stage II's fairly easily with the truck? Mostly it's a weekend warrior/deep snow-torrential weather truck, but it tows 5k lbs once in a while. Sometimes heavier.

Whats the opinions? Stick with 1's? Or will 2's be alright?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have rosewood IIs in my truck with no intercooler as of right now and my personal opinion is i would not want to go any smaller but the pyro wraps around very fast but hey mine are for sale so i would go with IIs :thumb::D

#3 ·
Any clue of whp/tq? Would it scoot pretty good? Anything to compare it to? What about pulling... any trouble pulling w/ stage II's?

How fast would pyro come around to 1500*?

Also, stock turbo isn't *****ing?

#4 ·
No clue on HP/TQ numbers out of my truck anyways. Rosewood says around 400 with supporting mods on the website. Pulling (once again with mytruck anyways) sucked with no cooler hills you pretty much just slow right down but that was me letting off around 1300. and if i was just messin around on the road i hit 1500 around mid 4th gear right after she lites up. How come you dont wanna do an intercooler??

#6 ·
Because I'm not dropping ridiculous amounts of money into the truck... just something to wake it up a bit more and help it with towing in ski country a bit more. Looks like I might stick with 1s.

#13 ·
Thank you much :thumb:

I just put in rosewood stage 1's a turbo back exhaust, and a beans 6 pos chip and the truck went from having a little power to hauling some ***. I have a banks intercooler kit and a beans fuel system in my guest bedroom waiting to go on and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a t500 hpop
Good review! More details are always welcomed (I'm a nerd.. what can I say).

I'd do an ic so it's useable power if not you'll still be slowing down up grades to keep your pyro happy but hey if you wanna burn the motor down and be out more money have at er

iPhone auto correcting incorrectly like a boss
OBS 7.3's are pretty good with handling heat... not too worried about it.

Matt, the only reason I'm going to say stay with stage ones is because out here snow happens at 10,000 feet. Big sticks don't like altitude. I have a second chip with altitude tunes so my truck will run up there.
Our attitude is NOT as crazy as CA by any stretch of the mind. I cant give you an exact number though.

#8 ·
I just put in rosewood stage 1's a turbo back exhaust, and a beans 6 pos chip and the truck went from having a little power to hauling some ***. I have a banks intercooler kit and a beans fuel system in my guest bedroom waiting to go on and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a t500 hpop

#9 ·
I'd do an ic so it's useable power if not you'll still be slowing down up grades to keep your pyro happy but hey if you wanna burn the motor down and be out more money have at er

iPhone auto correcting incorrectly like a boss

#10 ·
Truck will do just fine without an IC. Just get some good tunes and have fun!

#11 ·
Hey 85 thanks for asking that ? it's one my ?'s too. Good info from y'all on this site thanks. I want an intercooler but yeah it's pricey. Is that the best way to keep the egt's down? Been looking at beans site I saw they hav the rebuilt turbo with the quik spool on it but was worried about the egt's I don't hav the gauges yet. "and no money" but I can look and plan. again thanks for all the good info I'm learning a lot here!

#12 ·
Matt, the only reason I'm going to say stay with stage ones is because out here snow happens at 10,000 feet. Big sticks don't like altitude. I have a second chip with altitude tunes so my truck will run up there.

#14 ·
I'd say go with stage II's, and have them de-tuned for the supporting mods you currently have.
Much easier to get a re-burn if/when you get E-fuel, HPOP, I/C than have to send the injectors away for a second build.
This is at least the approach I'm taking on my truck.
Aint it a b*tch not having the cash to do everything all at once?

#17 ·
It's not that I dont have the money, it's just that I cant see dropping that money :rofl: I dont want to do a ton to my truck... I'll probably only have it a few more years until I pick up a 6.0 to take over my truck duties. Maybe a 6.4 if I'm feeling frisky.

I don't see why not go with 2's, sure you may have to de-tune em to tow heavy up a mountain, but i wouldn't be surprised if my truck could out-tow a truck with stock nozzles, or at least hang with it without an issue. And then unhook the trailers, turn a knob, and spank its ***.

And if you go with a tuner that has free re-burns or a tuner that will sell you a burner and then e-mail you tunes, then your only out a little time and maybe some cash for shipping. It costs me about $38 in shipping from Ohio to Texas and back for my Gearhead tunes. Not that expensive. And remember, these are diesels, NOTHING is cheap.
You dont think that w/out IC and stock fueling I'll have any egt/drive pressure issues or anythign w/ stock turbo? Because that would be a great plan to me.

Are II's useable with say a 6.0 cooler while towing? Kause I do tow, over 10k sometimes, but have been up and down 5-6% grades and wanna maintain 60-75mph and spank some gassers, if I find cheap ones that is, eventually hybrids and d66 or irates mount
Yes absolutely. I'm just too cheap for an IC and e-fuel. But since you've got e-fuel.... an IC would be all you need to keep II's under control. Of course, a larger turbo would be better, but a stocker will handle IIs.

#15 ·
I don't see why not go with 2's, sure you may have to de-tune em to tow heavy up a mountain, but i wouldn't be surprised if my truck could out-tow a truck with stock nozzles, or at least hang with it without an issue. And then unhook the trailers, turn a knob, and spank its ***.

And if you go with a tuner that has free re-burns or a tuner that will sell you a burner and then e-mail you tunes, then your only out a little time and maybe some cash for shipping. It costs me about $38 in shipping from Ohio to Texas and back for my Gearhead tunes. Not that expensive. And remember, these are diesels, NOTHING is cheap.

#16 ·
Are II's useable with say a 6.0 cooler while towing? Kause I do tow, over 10k sometimes, but have been up and down 5-6% grades and wanna maintain 60-75mph and spank some gassers, if I find cheap ones that is, eventually hybrids and d66 or irates mount

#19 ·
With the tow tune are egt's controllable or not really?

#20 ·
That i can't really comment on as i've said, i have a horrible up-pipe leak and i realized my air filter is 2+ years old and plugged up so thats really hurting air flow. :doh: Also running my EGT probe right behind the DP flange, haven't had a chance to move it yet so my numbers may be a little low. But towing 100 bales of hay, 4 wide 5 high, into a headwind, i was cruising 65-75 passing people and i was cruising around 750* and never saw the needle go past 1k even with some hills in the mix.

My truck is far from ideal at the moment but it'll still pull whatever the hell i want and it'll get me where i'm going in a hurry. :hehe:

#21 ·
Good to know. I appreciate your input on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.