Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about upgrading to stage 1 injectors over the summer and was wondering who makes the best. I have heard good things about Swamps, Beans, and Rosewood Diesel injectors. I also saw a company called Pensacola Diesel that makes upgraded injectors and was wondering if anyone has any experience with their injectors. Also, I was wondering what injectors are in my truck. It is a 1997 model F-250 originally sold in Texas. From what I can tell, it should have AA code injectors, but 1997 was an odd year because of the break in production in 1998 and there was also a California emissions package that used different injectors. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've also thought about upgrading injectors for my 96. I'll probably go with the AC code injectors, which were put in the high output 7.3s. there basically the same as stage 1s but the holes are a little different and they supposedly flow 170cc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, the truck has the original automatic tranny with 180,000 miles on it and still going strong. I figure i'll upgrade it when it decides to go, so I'm not too worried about extra power hurting it at this point. I think it is probably about due for a rebuild anyway. Are AC code injectors single shots or split shots? I thought stage 1 injectors with a chip and exhaust could yield up to 100 hp gains.....not 25..is this correct?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Thanks for the replies, the truck has the original automatic tranny with 180,000 miles on it and still going strong. I figure i'll upgrade it when it decides to go, so I'm not too worried about extra power hurting it at this point. I think it is probably about due for a rebuild anyway. Are AC code injectors single shots or split shots? I thought stage 1 injectors with a chip and exhaust could yield up to 100 hp gains.....not 25..is this correct?

yes you can get 100hp with ehaust and chip, but i'm talking about just if you put the injectors in, and didn't do anything else

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
with a custom tuned chip the injectors should add 50-75ish hp. dynomite diesel have the best warranty as far as I know but ive heard awesome things about casserly injectors from beans as well

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok that makes sense, I was just assuming the injectors would be used with a chip because it doesn't really make sense to upgrade injectors without a chip. Does anyone know if there are significant fuel mileage differences between stage 1 and stage 2 injectors assuming the the truck is driven under mostly highway conditions? Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
AC codes are single shots.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i sent the injectors out of my 97 to jim at rosewoods and had them rebuilt to stage 2,couldnt be happier with them,he said stage 1s were 100 hp and stage 2s were 175

·
Registered
854 Posts
Stage 2's require a crap ton more supporting mods than Stage 1's also....
If you get deuces, you're looking at upgraded fuel system, bigger turbo, and a SD HPOP if you're an OBSer

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Love my Baby swamps, I don't think they added any HP with out a chip.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
stage 1s

stage 1s are 160cc stock tips.stage 2s.are 160cc with 80 over tips.from fullforce and beans.stock is 90cc.thats a nice up grade.trans savers are 130cc.your stock fuel pump will and oil pump will run 160cc just fine.Crazy larrys injectors in cal have the best warrantie.15 months and thay run real good.I do alot of injectors install and I have some for sale.but anyway you go.you will not go wrong.17degree Hpop,chip and down pipe will have you smiling.

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
Stage 1's should put you in the 300HP ball park, with intake, exhaust, and a good chip.

I ordered a DIY kit from Jim at Rosewood and could not be happier. The stage 1's are a big improvement for an OBS. For the price, you can't beat them. I still can't out run a tuned 6.0, but I can pull anything I want.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies. I've got a 17* HPOP that I am going to install this week, I did the downpipe a couple of months ago along with a Banks intercooler. I'm running a TS Chip right now so injectors is my next upgrade so it sounds like I'm on the right track. It's good to hear some feedback on the DIY injectors. I've been seriously considering the them because of the price and the fact that I can do it myself. Is the rebuilding process fairly straightforward? Are there any special tools required or just the usual stuff?

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I've got a 17* HPOP that I am going to install this week, I did the downpipe a couple of months ago along with a Banks intercooler. I'm running a TS Chip right now so injectors is my next upgrade so it sounds like I'm on the right track. It's good to hear some feedback on the DIY injectors. I've been seriously considering the them because of the price and the fact that I can do it myself. Is the rebuilding process fairly straightforward? Are there any special tools required or just the usual stuff?
The kit comes with everything you need other than regular shop tools. It's pretty straight forward.

Here is a write up I did after finishing mine. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/product-write-ups/12729-rosewood-diesels-diy-injector-kit.html

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for linking me to the write up you did, that really helps. How many miles were on your injectors before you rebuilt them? You mentioned in your write up that the armature and plungers could be worn and need to be replaced. Did you run into this with yours? I ask because my injectors have 180,000 miles on them and I am trying to get a feel for what kind of shape they are in. If all of that stuff needs to be replaced, it might be better for me to just order rebuilt units because I don't know of any good machine shops that I would trust for this, otherwise I would really like to do it myself. Almost all of the miles on my truck are highway without any towing so it has had a really easy life. Thanks again for your input!

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
Thanks for linking me to the write up you did, that really helps. How many miles were on your injectors before you rebuilt them? You mentioned in your write up that the armature and plungers could be worn and need to be replaced. Did you run into this with yours? I ask because my injectors have 180,000 miles on them and I am trying to get a feel for what kind of shape they are in. If all of that stuff needs to be replaced, it might be better for me to just order rebuilt units because I don't know of any good machine shops that I would trust for this, otherwise I would really like to do it myself. Almost all of the miles on my truck are highway without any towing so it has had a really easy life. Thanks again for your input!
I did mine at 175K. They were almost the same specs as new injectors. If the truck has been maintained, I would expect the injectors to be in fairly good shape. Another option is to send your injectors to Jim at rosewood for him to check out and build, but it will cost more money and time. The DIY experience is great also. I had an alternate means of transportation, so if I ran into any problems, I could have the machining done. If you ran into only one bad injector, you could just order a reman one to modify and still come out OK.

·
Registered
959 Posts
AC injectors are 160cc with the same exact nozzles as the AA, AB, AD, AE injectors. They are the same as a stage Is.

There are several places to get them but I'd strongly suggest having a shop do them that has the proper tools and a flow bench. There are things you just can see unless you flow test them such as if the nozzles are worn out etc.

There are special tools to do them including a tool for aligning the popit valve and the proper tool for takeing the large cone shaped nut off the end. You can fudge it but if the popit isn't lined up properly it won't work. I've personally seen this happen on the flow bench.

Also if the armature clearance is out of spec don't bother having them rebuilt. Just get new injectors. You cannot properly fix this. The problem is caused from the popit valve face and seat wearing and the valve sinking into the seat. The ONLY way to properly fix it is to resurface the valve and seat then machine other parts to bring the armature clearance back into spec. Noone makes tools to resurface the valve and seat so you are just stuck with a worn out injector that is going to cause problems down the road. Trying to fix it is like taking a dished intake or exhaust valve and grinding the tip of the stem down to get the valve clearance back into sped. Before you send the injectors out anywhere pop the solenoids off the tops and measure under the square armature plate that is under it. If a .002" feeler gauge is snug at all they are junk and you will be better off buying new injectors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts