Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hard bed cover on my bed, but I want to put on a stack. What I would like to do is run a stack up the outside of my bed. The obvious problem is the heat from the stack destroying my paint. I guess my question would be if there are any 5" stacks with a heat shield that I could mount to my truck in this fassion?

·
Registered
771 Posts
As in the outside of your truck??? that would be different.

I think it would be sweet to do a single offset through the bed cover.... but there would be alot of pain to come with that though... cutting the bed cover, being a pain to get the cover on and off and so on.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
I have a hard bed cover on my bed, but I want to put on a stack. What I would like to do is run a stack up the outside of my bed. The obvious problem is the heat from the stack destroying my paint. I guess my question would be if there are any 5" stacks with a heat shield that I could mount to my truck in this fassion?
Well any way you slice it you going to be drilling into the bed some way or another.....it all depends on what mounts you use as to how good it is going to look..... I think your going to get into alot of headaches that you don't want with going outside the bed

·
Registered
450 Posts
^^i agree.

if your gonna do it on the outside of the bed imo it was to be done like the red dodge that was on the cover of DP or it'll look cheap. i had a cust cut his bed cover and put two through the cover it looked good and he was still able to open it enough to get crap out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well any way you slice it you going to be drilling into the bed some way or another.....it all depends on what mounts you use as to how good it is going to look..... I think your going to get into alot of headaches that you don't want with going outside the bed
I figured out a way to modify a mount to fit by drilling into the side of the bed. The problem that I can't get past is to prevent the heat from the stack screwing up my paint on the side of the bed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
instead of that \
couldnt you add a piece inside your bed and run the stacks through it
then shorten your bed cover up the piece would look like a piece of channel
just a thought..

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think it would be better to just find a way to drill through your bed liner. It would lok much better and you would't have to worry about damaging your paint. The extra work will be worth it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
instead of that \
couldnt you add a piece inside your bed and run the stacks through it
then shorten your bed cover up the piece would look like a piece of channel
just a thought..
This is a good concept, but there was a very specific reason why I bought a long bed. The bed space, unfortunately, cannot be used at all for my stacks. Hate to be such a paing in the [email protected]* about this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is a good concept, but there was a very specific reason why I bought a long bed. The bed space, unfortunately, cannot be used at all for my stacks. Hate to be such a paing in the [email protected]* about this.
go to a custom fab shop with your stack and get them to roll a piece of metal and roll it the same shape as the stack for your heat shield
stainless is nice but expensive..
you could jacket your stack also the stack inside a bigger pipe
make sure has a 1" space between the pipes this would make your stack look bigger also

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
go to a custom fab shop with your stack and get them to roll a piece of metal and roll it the same shape as the stack for your heat shield
stainless is nice but expensive..
you could jacket your stack also the stack inside a bigger pipe
make sure has a 1" space between the pipes this would make your stack look bigger also
I like the stack inside a stack idea. What type of material would you use as an insulator between the stacks, or would you just leave it open for air flow to cool it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts