Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. Second post aside from my introduction. I’m here to pick your brains. You guys seems to be the most knowledgeable on these work horses. I’ve lurked for a while and have used your info for tons of projects. Thanks!!

Ok now to the topic at hand.

I own an 07 F350 outlaw. FYI.. That’s 6.0, crew cab shortbed.

I decided I’m going to convert it from srw to drw. I am mechanically inclined and do have my own shop. I need help in the details and differences between the years. I have a donor truck with most of the parts but there is a 7 year difference. I’m an 07 while the Dually is a 2000 model. The obvious difference I noticed at first glance is leaf spring front vs springs. I’m obviously wanting to keep the coil springs. My question to you guys is.. is that to much of a difference in years to undertake or is it a bolt on?

My current truck needs a bearing replaced on the front and front end work needed as well. Also need tires and etc.. it’s the perfect time to reroute that budget to include the conversion.

I just need help with the details about the differences in years. If it’s going to involve hours of welding perches and cutting stuff to modify.. I’m not that interested. I have a running business and if it’s bolt on with minimal mods.. I can have it done in a couple days. More than that.. I can’t afford to disable the truck.

What’s your feedback guys. Help a ford fan out! 🙂

I am aware of the gear ratio differences. I’m willing to try the 4:10’s out for a bit. The truck does have work done to it and it is a bit wild. I don’t mind turning some of those ponies into pulling power. I’ll try the 4:10’s. If I do not like.. I’ll switch both to 3:73 down the road.

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
30,940 Posts
pretty simple and no welding

they sold shortbed duallys so finding a factory DRW shorbed is a possibility but you can get decent aftermarket fenders also

if you stick with your year generation Dana 80 DRW axle you will need the front adapter and 6 200 mm rims

if you get an older dana 80 ( I think that 2000 may be the 170mm i know the change year 99 or 2000) it will have 170mm spacing so that leaves you the option of keeping your front as a non dually SRW front tire ( then u need to decide
if you want two style spares because the front won't fit the back or you can get a front spacer ( or donor axle ) and run dually rims all around

·
Administrator
30,940 Posts
i wouldn't swap the front dually axle from a 2000 leaf into a coil truck

just regear/repair if needed and get a spacer but keep the coil super 60

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reply. I plan on using both differentials from the donor truck to avoid the bolt pattern difference. It is a work vehicle so although the switch is not factory.. I’d like to retain the factory feel. Different bolt patterns and etc included. The biggest concern was fit and the conversion on the front diff from leaf to coil.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wouldn't swap the front dually axle from a 2000 leaf into a coil truck

just regear/repair if needed and get a spacer but keep the coil super 60
Ok. Thank you. I wondered if that was gonna be an issue. I’d definitely want to retain the coil setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an alternative... keeping the front diff and going the spacer route... is that wise to do with the bearing? Is that going to increase the wear on it substantially? This truck also totes a 9’ V boss in the winter. I don’t want to make it even worse. Adapters scare me but I’m not opposed to it.

·
Administrator
30,940 Posts
many folks rip the leaf sprung axles out and go with the coil sprung on older trucks because the coil and axle are better all around

if you want a 07 DRW just get an o5 up dana 80 and the OEM front wheel 170-200mm adapter / spacer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
many folks rip the leaf sprung axles out and go with the coil sprung on older trucks because the coil and axle are better all around

if you want a 07 DRW just get an o5 up dana 80 and the OEM front wheel 170-200mm adapter / spacer
Ok so scrap the donor truck? I’m not into it any money. I can keep looking for something newer.

·
Administrator
30,940 Posts
I think you can sell the stuff for the money you need to buy the right parts for yours

or do what some do ( I may do this myself) and use the Dana 80 170mm rear and run a srw front rim dually rear

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you can sell the stuff for the money you need to buy the right parts for yours

or do what some do ( I may do this myself) and use the Dana 80 170mm rear and run a srw front rim dually rear
Thanks ZMANN! Amazing responses. Exactly what I needed. I had reservations about the year differences. I will continue my search for an 05 and up donor. Thank you so much!!

I will be back shortly with this project after some hunting!! :))

·
Registered
4 Posts

I'm considering doing this on my 07, f250 srw Harley Davidson Edition. And bulletproof next month. I just bought a 42ft 5th wheel camper and just want to make sure she can tow it. How did yours come out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts