Votes: 9 52.9%
  • SPD

Votes: 8 47.1%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it appears I'm going to have to pay $75 to get my SPD revised for the new Stage 2 turbo or pay $100 to get the SRL Extreme. I've never ran any Gearhead tunes but my truck does seem to really like TSD's tunes. I need opinions on which way to go. Which one can tune this turbo better? I assume it's going to have to be tuned like a Powermax.

·
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!
6,471 Posts
Ok it appears I'm going to have to pay $75 to get my SPD revised for the new Stage 2 turbo or pay $100 to get the SRL Extreme. I've never ran any Gearhead tunes but my truck does seem to really like TSD's tunes. I need opinions on which way to go. Which one can tune this turbo better? I assume it's going to have to be tuned like a Powermax.
Matt's SRL XX, ++, or Extreme is pretty quick, but I also watched my fuel needle go down while I was driving. :doh:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I say srl seems to be the best for my truck

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
SPD all the way. The SRLxx runs great up top but is a dog down low with my MTW stage 2. I was about to give up on this turbo cause spool up was slow (IMO) I had tried SRL, SRL+, SRLxx, Tonys Wildmans Extreme along with many tweaks from both tune writers, and finally I tried Chris's SPD and it DOES spool faster than stock! Some guys say the SPD is not as powerful up top (high rpms) but I can't feel a difference and honestly I don't spend that much time about 3k rpms compared to the time I spend from idle up to 3k. It should also be noted that I got tune revisions from Matt and Tony but Chris was the only tune writer I've ever had where I didn't need a tweak for anything motor related. Chris did give me a tweak but it is because I like in the mountains and I raised the 6th gear shift point up to 55mph to keep the motor from lugging. One last thing... I have NEVER got over 250-270 per tank until I got the SPD tune and now I'm getting just over 300 every tank. Of course this is strictly in town driving and. I always allow the motor to run 10 min before I drive. Let's us know what you choose!

Edit: My MTW stage 2 does have a larger a/r housing so my spool will be slower than yours but that only means even faster spool up with any tune compared to the old MTW stage 2 turbo.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I've tried just about every tuner out there and hands down for the street, I'd run either TSD's SPD or Eric's XtremeX. I liked Eric's XtremeX because my VGT turbo ran at a lower EBP to boost ratio under normal cruising around than my SPD tune did but the SPD tune was better IMO than any of my SRL tunes from Matt. I know Matt writes A LOT of tunes that guys like but they didn't work for me. I absolutely love how Chris tunes the transmission. Eric also does a great job but has a little firmer shifts.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I had a similar experience to Rollinearly, I really enjoyed my Gearhead tunes until I upgraded the turbo. The turbo spool was really and the only tuner that could get it to spool quickly was TSD.

·
6,471 Posts
I'm getting interested in the SPD now... :D

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning toward just paying to have a new SPD written since my other SPD ran awesome on my truck and I like the quick spool up.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I love the SPD. I have run it, as well as the Looney and Looney Wild, and I love the way it pulls of the line as well as the torque it has during daily driving.

It seems that mpg's are higher with the Looney, but I prefer the SPD for daily driving. Even pretty much bone stock and with larger tires and a small lift, it really moves off the line. I love the way it drives.

I did a CTS 0-60, and it came out at a 6.1 seconds with lots of gas on board (I usually keep at least 30 gallons on my auxiliary fuel tank in the bed) and a heavy tool box in the bed. Factoring in the larger tires and the weight, it would be under 6 seconds with less fuel and without the tool box.

It's no drag strip demon, but it pulls well for the size and weight of the truck and without any other real horsepower mods.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I don't want to derail too far. For the most part, EBP to boost ratios are nothing more than a diagnosis tool IMO for seeing how efficient your turbo is doing. However though to only look at EBP and boost and leave out EGTs, would be remissed IMO.

ALL of this is MY OPINION. At the end of the day you simply want your motor to hold together to whatever boost/EBP you run (typically most is at WOT). What I also believe is important is VGT duty cycle %. It's AMAZING to me how such a small change in this one parameter can have such a profound effect on both EGTs and EBP.

I monitor EBP and Boost with actual electronic gauges. I don't data log through the ECM or anything. I have 0-60 psi gauges for both and what I have found is that with the (04/03/Pmax) GT37 turbines you will run really high EBP to boost ratios when the oil temp is below 150F and that is to help the motor warm up to operating temps. I would usually see about 13-15 psi of EBP for 3-5 psi of boost until my oil hit 151F. At that point, the EBP would drop to about 7-8 psi for the same boost pressures. Once my boost got to about 10-12 psi, I would pretty much see 1:1 or maybe 1 psi more of ebp than boost. Even at WOT, my EBP/boost ratio was only about 1.1:1. This was all with my SPD tune. My XtremeX tune ran 12 psi of ebp when cold and 5-6 psi when hot with boost at 3-5 psi and I was 1:1 by about 8 psi. I never really paid attention to what the VGT duty cycle was. Didn't really care that much what the difference was but I do know it was different. I'm sure this why the SPD with a little higher EBP, but like I said, I'm not sold that it is something to really be worried about as you will see higher EBP numbers down low and that ratio changes all the time. Hope this helps.

·
6,471 Posts

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Guys I have a sh*tload of tunes from all the tuners (I once deleted 30+ from my library) because I test a bunch of turbos in different conditions. The TSD tunes are great, but I just got a 140X tune from PHP and it is amazing. Hands down, the best tune I've had. No tweaks were necessary at all. It did everything I wanted and more just like it came. Great power, superior shifts and shift points. Awesome tune. Give PHP at try.

I liked it so much, we're currently in negotiations with PHP to possibly offer this tune with our Stage 2's as a package deal. Bill writes a mean azz tune and Jay is (a little gay and really hairy) the man with customer service.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
6,471 Posts
Guys I have a sh*tload of tunes from all the tuners (I once deleted 30+ from my library) because I test a bunch of turbos in different conditions. The TSD tunes are great, but I just got a 140X tune from PHP and it is amazing. Hands down, the best tune I've had. No tweaks were necessary at all. It did everything I wanted and more just like it came. Great power, superior shifts and shift points. Awesome tune. Give PHP at try.

I liked it so much, we're currently in negotiations with PHP to possibly offer this tune with our Stage 2's as a package deal. Bill writes a mean azz tune and Jay is (a little gay and really hairy) the man with customer service.

Thanks for the info! :thumb:

We had Bill come out and live tune at one of our GTGs...

I don't know if the guys that had their trucks live tuned like the tunes or not. :dunno:

I'll have to contact them and ask cuz I'm lookin for a kick azz tune for the truck.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks for the info Matt. I will have to give PHP a call. It's going on almost 2 solid weeks now and I'm still waiting for the new SPD that I paid for.

·
6,471 Posts
It's going on almost 2 solid weeks now and I'm still waiting for the new SPD that I paid for.
:doh: Ugh, I hate having to wait that long for a tune...

·
6,471 Posts

Thanks for the info Matt. I will have to give PHP a call. It's going on almost 2 solid weeks now and I'm still waiting for the new SPD that I paid for.
X2

Thanks for the info Matt, I ordered my Extreme tonight! :woot:

I'll probably get that before the SPD... :doh:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.