Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had a recent mishap under the hood with what I thought was a mouse chewing my wire... As I looked outside my window today I saw a squirrel picking up leaves and making his way onto my tire and then into the engine compartment. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of these things? I'd prefer not to trap it because then I'd have to either take it some where and release it or kill it chancing people seeing me. If you know of a liquid or poison solution they like that they will get into and run off and die that would be great... There are a bunch running around my neighborhood so I have more than one to deal with :doh:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go to the pound and get you a Tom cat to stay outside .They will be gone in less than 2 weeks. He will start to catch and eat them . I can promise you this...One draw back he might sleep on the truck.:thumb::thumb::50cal:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to the pound and get you a Tom cat to stay outside .They will be gone in less than 2 weeks. He will start to catch and eat them . I can promise you this...One draw back he might sleep on the truck.:thumb::thumb::50cal:
Hate cats with a passion... I would likely kill the cat before it cured my problem.. especially if he was caught on the truck lol

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
We always use a 22 or a pellet gun :dunno: If you're in town I don't know what would work. Hopefully you get it taken care of, I hate it when they tear stuff up!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We always use a 22 or a pellet gun :dunno: If you're in town I don't know what would work. Hopefully you get it taken care of, I hate it when they tear stuff up!
Yeah I live in town or else I'd be out there all day shooting them.. I was thinking maybe some anti freeze in a bowl? I've been told it works good if you soak bread in it to get rid of stray dogs, but not sure if the same would work with squirrels

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree...a little bit of "lead poisoning" sounds like the ticket. If you can't shoot a gun, think archery equipment or even a paintball gun!

Or put out bowl of shell corn or something of that nature and mix some rat poison in with it...might do the trick:dunno:

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Yeah I live in town or else I'd be out there all day shooting them.. I was thinking maybe some anti freeze in a bowl? I've been told it works good if you soak bread in it to get rid of stray dogs, but not sure if the same would work with squirrels
thats disgusting. I hope you get caught if you do that.......

·
Super Moderator
19,348 Posts
Ya might need to pop the hood daily to take out the leaves and such. It might discourage it from coming back. With it being spring, 'she' could be prepping a nest for having youngin's. If its work keeps getting destroyed, it may go somewhere else to have a better change of success. Just a thought......

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Ok, well I'll trap them and build them a nest under your hood so they can chew your wires up and cost you money... Sound good?
:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe: :tard:

why don't you try removing the nesting material daily......the squirrel will move on. starting the truck a few minutes a day will also get rid of them..........

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Post removed. Dont antifreez the animials! lol

·
RIP Mitch ! We miss you
11,966 Posts
Pellet gun will take care of it and not draw any unwanted attention.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe: :tard:

why don't you try removing the nesting material daily......the squirrel will move on. starting the truck a few minutes a day will also get rid of them..........
I will be removing the material daily now that I know its going to keep building one.. I removed it once and when i checked a few days later it hadn't rebuilt yet, but this time it was bigger and better than last time.. But thats just a temporary solution.. long term is to get rid of the squirrel..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im hoping this is all just a joke. I could feed you some old Ford Gold if ya want...
Completly wish it was just a joke.. I watched it climb up in there today so I stepped outside to keep it there while I used my remote start to start it up hoping it would get caught and maybe not come back out until I pulled it out, but it managed to slip away.. Found out while I was removing the nest that it has began to chew my glow plug wires as well so just another thing I'll have to replace...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And to clear things up, the antifreeze comment was a joke.. there are other dogs, cats, birds, etc. that run/fly around that I would not want to get hurt to include my own dog.. I would not risk the other animals getting killed because of one pesky squirrel.. But as far as finding a way to get rid of them I am being serious.. Might have to invest in the pelet gun idea and hope it doesn't draw attention.. not the greatest of neighborhoods so even a pelet gun might draw unwanted attention...

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Completly wish it was just a joke.. I watched it climb up in there today so I stepped outside to keep it there while I used my remote start to start it up hoping it would get caught and maybe not come back out until I pulled it out, but it managed to slip away.. Found out while I was removing the nest that it has began to chew my glow plug wires as well so just another thing I'll have to replace...

Shoot it, or trap it. Live trap or a Large Rat trap. End of story.

Poison is just stupid, not only dangerous to the local animals, (Dogs, cats) but to the neighborhood kids as well. If I EVER caught someone intentionally leaving poison out in my neighborhood, we would be having some very unwanted 1 on 1 time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Shoot it, or trap it. Live trap or a Large Rat trap. End of story.

Poison is just stupid, not only dangerous to the local animals, (Dogs, cats) but to the neighborhood kids as well. If I EVER caught someone intentionally leaving poison out in my neighborhood, we would be having some very unwanted 1 on 1 time.
Read my other post... wasn't sure if you were talking about the antifreeze as a joke or the squirrel being a joke.. the squirrel is no joke.. the antifreeze yes.. as i mentioned I have a dog of my own and would be pissed at myself if she got into it so I would not even take that chance...

·
Banned
4,240 Posts

THIS is your best bet, I shoot them as well, but I have caught countless chipmunks and squirrels with this trap, and my last ones lasted me about 6 years.

Just spread some peanut butter on the trigger, set the trap, and sprinkle some black oil sunflower seed on the trigger area/peanut butter, and se them inside your front tires.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts