Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1996 f350 7.3 automatic, a few weeks ago I noticed a faint whining sound almost like a power steering pump whine. The noise only shows it’s ugly face in when the transmission is warm (150-200), in reverse, and if you happen to press the brake or throttle after a certain period of time. Had the transmission checked out since it only has 30,000 miles of daily driving under it. Came back clear supposedly not the tranny.. Eliminated brakes since it will do it without touching them. Only heard in reverse no other gear plus once you get it going to 10-15 mph the noise stops. Really scratching my head on this one.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
I'd find a good straight road with NO ONE on it. Get up to speed then turn it off in neutral and coast. Might be able to get a better listen. Remember, you will not have power steering or power brakes so be careful.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
You sure the front pads are not shot and it is wear indicator making the noise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd find a good straight road with NO ONE on it. Get up to speed then turn it off in neutral and coast. Might be able to get a better listen. Remember, you will not have power steering or power brakes so be careful.
No noise in neutral, tested it around 10 mph and 40 mph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts