Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 2 years my steering wheel on my 99 super duty squeeks when you turn the wheel it is not a loud squeek but it is enough to drive me nuts lately so if any of you could help me i would greatly appreciate it thanks a bunch

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
Are you sure its in the wheel or could it be ball joints? If it is the wheel, then lay under the column and turn the wheel to see if you can pin point the squeak. Maybe its a u-joint in the steering linkage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the quick reply. Ya i am positive it isnt the ball joints i know it is in the steering column but i dont know what the squeek does acutally sound like rubber and plastic rubbing really lightly but maybe it is a u joint in the column i guess i am not sure where should i start. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a squeak in my steering wheel also. Probably for about a year now. Its not that loud and most time of the I never pay attention to it. I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has a easy solution for it.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
It is the clockspring causing your problem. It is what makes the airbag work. It is actually a contact that has two pieces of plastic that turn inside one another. Here is a link to show you what it is. You can replace it but I've seen brand new ones have the same problem. Hope this helps. Ford Clock Spring - Free Shipping

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
Hey, good info dhanna. I have never heard of that. Probably cause i've never had to fix it, but now i know if i hear a squeak what to look for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts