Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 F350 and it squeals all the time or will chirp. I have replaced the water pump, alternator, serpentine belt a few months ago and most recently the power steering pump and pulley. It still squeals and its coming from the driver side of the engine, what else could it be or will it just always squeal, when I changed out the belt it stopped for two weeks but then started squealing again. Now that ive changed out the power steering pump and pulley its more of a chirp, what could it be ?????

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Vacuum pump? Idler pulleys?

I replaced my vacuum pump once a year, leaked oil, failed bearings and i've even had housings crack and pulleys break along the welds.

When they squeak they are ready to go. Fairly easy to replace. I can do mine in 15 minutes. I've also replaced idler pulleys and tensioner at one point too.

If it is for sure the belt then check the alignment of everything.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
As mentioned, check the alignment on everything. Checking the belt edge(s) is a good indicator if something is out of line. I usually like to clean the grooved pulleys with a wire brush and brakeclean (belt off engine not running) to make sure the is no oil or debris in the grooves that might cause noise. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I second, or is it third the previous posts, ...anyways squeaking is usually an alignment problem, and clean the pulley grooves

Remove the belt and check for looseness in each pulley, it dont take much -- flip the belt the other way when you go back on

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went through this several years back and tried most of the above solutions and couldn't get it to stop. Then a friend suggested baby powder. That quiets it for several months. So I keep a small bottle in the truck and every few months when it starts squealing, I sprinkle it in various places on the belt both inside and out while the truck is off. Start it up and no more squealing.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Just be absolutely certain it is the belt. If anything fails on the front of the motor and throws the belt then it will take everything out with it. Yes, fan through the radiator is not fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
check your serpentine tensioner, when they go bad the begin to bend at an angle and the belt begins to squeal as the belt spins away from nearest pulley and will howl like a mofo. if it is a bad tensioner be sure to discard the factory washer on sertain model tensioners. it cant be used with the updated design. this fixed my squeak FWIW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts