Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving around today and all of a sudden as I was going up a hill the motor made a weird air sputtering sound. Also sounds like the turbo is "chirping" when it spools down. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I wad thinking maybe the wastegate is sticking? Help!

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
First off, its not your wastegate. Your wastegate will not make noise. After looking you have a 6.7, im not sure they even have a wastegate do they?

You might have an exhaust leak or a boost leak somewhere.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't know what your problem is but I find it bull**** that people are already having problems. I watched all of the testing videos on the Ford website and Youtube and they beat the piss out of those things!

Hopefully it's something environmentally related and not an engine malfunction. If it is an engine malfunction, I'd be in the dealership *****ing up a storm.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My problem is, I love my new truck and can't stop thinking about her. My second problem is my right foot. It keeps getting sucked down by gravity when I am on the freeway and sidestreets, causing extreme excelleration and uncontrolled giddyness. The consequence has been less than stellar fuel milage, 15.4 mpg. I need help!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea mine started doing the same thing after I got the dealer flash. Have you had the flash? I think that you can hear it better with the AFE intake. Its the turbo woof, sometimes it makes the truck lurch abit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh yeah, I got the flash. The other problem I had with the 6.7 this weekend is, my neighbor is moving, saw I had a new truck, and asked if I could help him move. So, I hooked up a chain to his house and said, "where to?" Damn, this Ford is causing all kinds of issues for me.

Reactions: Horms07

·
Registered
16 Posts
lol... Yea them kinda problems are sure to follow us. My dealer doesn't have a clue when it comes to the new truck. I have a few issues with mine but other than that I like it more everytime I drive it. Waiting for H&S and their delete stuff.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I got the flash and it still sputters. Usually around 45-50mph. It's really pissing me off.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Does it feel like you lose power or just have a sound?
What elevation are you at?
How many miles?

·
Registered
33 Posts
same here, i thought it was the regen system but put 4" duals and a mini max and it still does it. Waiting to see what luck you guys have. Dont really want to put all this back to stock until i know ford can fix it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hey guys sorry but you describe this sound alittle better? also there is a bullitin out for something leaking at the top of the exhaust and its a free fix at ford

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have the sputtering/woof/bark sounds at light boost like when cresting a hill and releasing the throttle. I have the AFE intake and am curious if the rest of you hearing this do or don't have an intake on the truck.

I didn't ever notice a single noise until the intake went on, but the thing that is messin with my mind is the sounds have gotten obviously more persistent and often. What used to happen here and there and was just kind of annoying now happens on every drive I make in the truck and is flat pissin me off. AFE swears that NOBODY else has any issues with their intake and I'm not certain that I am either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First off, its not your wastegate. Your wastegate will not make noise. After looking you have a 6.7, im not sure they even have a wastegate do they?

You might have an exhaust leak or a boost leak somewhere.
The 6.7L uses a Garrett single sequential turbo (SST) with variable geometry, a dual-scroll exhaust housing, and an externally actuated wastegate.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the exhaust leak idea. Im gonna tell my dealer about that one. Is there any place that we can see these updates or is it a dealer only thing? I didn't think this truck had a wastegate, I thought the vanes took care of the pressure letting off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
and what does all this mean?
The quote I injected about the turbo was taken directly from a description of the 6.7 on Fords website earlier this year. My only reason for posting it was to show that there is a wastegate on the new turbo system because somebody(s) were suggesting otherwise.

As for my noise problem, the only thing that makes common sence to me is the wastegate opening prematurely and erratically causing the pressurized air to escape and creating a popping noise. I'm no diesel pro, just thinking this thing out. May be way off.

There is another noise that has me wondering also. It is only at cold startups and last for a few minutes. It is more of a higher pitched whining that is intermittent and gets more rapid as the truck idles/warms up until it kind of fizzles out and stops about 3-4 minutes after startup.

I talked to the dealer today and they sais there is another 11' SD in the shop right now for the same complaint and they're waiting on a new EGR valve to fix that one. I prodded the service(office) guy for more info but he didn't know himself and apparently asking the man that's actually working on the truck is WAY outside of his routine so that's about as far as that went. On a side note... Isn't it awesome to go to establishments that specialize in mechanicing and deal with people who have ZERO mechanical ability or parts houses where the least common knowledge on the premisis is PARTS.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
I wasn't saying they didn't have a wastegate, i was just saying that i didn't know if they did or not. But either way, you still won't hear it.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts