Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...

Just wondering in someone could tell me what kind/brand of paint is used to custom colour interior plastic. Also what cleaners need to be used to prep the pieces. Actually any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I have the tan interior and i want to black out everything except my king ranch leather seats and console lids.

Todd

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ford sells paint for the plastic pieces. A can of it came with pillar I bought for my old truck.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do..... I was actaully watchin "Unique Whips" and they removed and primered/painted all the interior plastic on some car using spray paint cans...I couldnt read the cans to see if they were something special for the application or not

·
Registered
229 Posts
The ford stuff is in spray cans. A company called Jet Glo (owned by sherwin williams) has some water based plastic paint called Jet Flex that is actually very good. Alot of paint supply companys can put specialty paints in arisol cans for you for about $5 a can. A quart will make 4 to 5 cans I think.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
Will do..... I was actaully watchin "Unique Whips" and they removed and primered/painted all the interior plastic on some car using spray paint cans...I couldnt read the cans to see if they were something special for the application or not
yah their is def a way to do it... but taking off the dash is a PITA so thats why i have not done it yet.... their is a primer that body shop places use to paint plastic like fender flares that would work on our interior plastic... i guess if you had the time you could remove all your interior stuff you want to paint then prime them and paint them.....

might be easier to find a black or grey interior at a junk yard and swap it in....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
if you use any type of paint make sure you use the a good non solvent based cleaner, and plastic prep. The plastic prep will open uf the "pores" of the plastic allowing for much better adhesion. Also use plenty of flex agent to prevent cracking of paint when installing. Done this several times, looks awesome, but is a giant pain in the a$$.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Our SpectraMatch paint was designed/formulated to paint plastic, vinyl and even leather. As a matter of fact, my 2001 steering wheel (tan) was worn to the point that the black leather was showing through in several areas. I prepped and painted it with the SpectraMatch 4 months ago. To Date it looks brand new. The only problem is that some of the leather has actually worn off a the 11:00-1:00 o'clock position, so it has a little area that isn't as smooth, but the paint still holds. Looks great.

You can use the SpectraMatch on just about any flexable or hard surface. We also have painting instructions on our site if you need. The only thing to note is that we only carry the A-Pillar Colors. Many interiors have 2 or 3 different shades inside (IE: Med. Parchment [pillar], Med. Dk. Parchment, and Dark parchment). The reason for just the Pillar colors, is becasue we must order the paint in lg. qtys, as the make is special for us. The other colors we don't sell much of. Keep that in mind if thinking about ordering.
DieselManor - Plastic Gauge Pod Interior Paint

·
Registered
455 Posts
When I redid the interior on Diesel, I used KEM from English color. I also scrubbed everthing with a cleaner first, roughed it up with a scouring pad and used Bully Dog adhesion promoter. Then I sprayed 3-4 coats letting it fry 15 minutes in between.

End result, well there is 4 different kinds of plastic in the Duty. The main dash came out great. The kick panels and pillars , not so much. The paint doesn't stick to these for anything. I have another set and I am going to change up the method slightly and see how it works.

·
Registered
269 Posts
make sure you clean it really really really well. If you've used anything like armor-all on them, you need to get that off otherwise you'll get fish eyes when you spray it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts