Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all,

Haven't posted in here in awhile, but I finally have an issue I can't figure out. My brake pedal feels spongy, as if it has air in the lines. I haven't done brakes recently (not within 2 years). Brakes are stock except slotted and drilled rotors and upgraded pads. Calipers however are stock. I've owned this truck a long time, and I know how everything "should" feel. This is definitely not right. I have a power bleeder kit...Should I push some fluid through and see what I get? Maybe master cylinder going?

what do y'all think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I first got my truck, I flushed the brake system. Truck was 11 years old with 110,000 miles. Made a big difference, fluid absorbs moisture which needs to be removed.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Not much of a brake guy beyond changing fluid, pads, rotors and drums, but what do the lines look like, and any leaking fluids like by the hydroboost? I’ve heard cylinders can cause a sponges feeling when not installed and filled correctly. Last time I looked at the process of installing and filling a master cylinder to make sure there’s no air pockets in it, just thought I hope I never have to do that.

Coming up on a couple years since the brake fluid change. Might be time for me to get the mighty vac out and get a morning of pumping exercise!

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not much of a brake guy beyond changing fluid, pads, rotors and drums, but what do the lines look like, and any leaking fluids like by the hydroboost? I’ve heard cylinders can cause a sponges feeling when not installed and filled correctly. Last time I looked at the process of installing and filling a master cylinder to make sure there’s no air pockets in it, just thought I hope I never have to do that.

Coming up on a couple years since the brake fluid change. Might be time for me to get the mighty vac out and get a morning of pumping exercise!
No leaks, everything is dry, thats why I'm perplexed. Chassis does have 174K on it so does the brake fluid. Maybe a push through with the vacuum bottle is in order.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
593 Posts
Could be the soft lines swelling under pressure. Get someone to pump the brakes while you feel the lines.
Other things that can cause this, bad fluid, leaking master cylinder, leaking line connection, leaking caliper.
If you have a brake vacuum, it does not hurt to flush the fluid out, start at the RR, then LR, FR and end on the driver's front. Make sure you're using the correct brake fluid (dot3 I believe).
Now I need to do my fluid.... Thanks

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts