Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been getting a couple codes for a long time now....a CEL will come on and then after a few key cycles....drive cycles it will go off, and then come on again days...weeks later...not a big deal just wanted to know what it was.

I did not drop my truck off cause I did not have time to wait, but I pulled the codes and asked him.

P0715
P0717

Guess what? They are not even in his system. My tuner says Turbine sensor input error for one, and no signal for the other. The tech told me theres no sensor on the turbo and the only electrical part is the actuator that controls the vanes on the small turbo according to pedal position....so....in the end he has no idea what the codes are, or mean, hoe weird is that.

He also said that they CAN tell if the trucks have been tuned...said on the previous models if you took the tuner off right that they would not know, but on these trucks they CAN EASILY tell that its been tuned, and parameters changed.....also said some crap about these engines being at 85% max capacity already...whatever about all that...he rode in mine and thought it was very nice, and was impressed with the mileage....he hates the fact that the DPF and REGEN kills the mileage.

Anyhow if anyone can help me figure out what those codes are that would be great. And I wanted to clear the air on the fact that if you tune it they will know...so if you cannot pay to play....then DONT PLAY.

·
Registered
19 Posts
first off....85%??? thats funny. i highly doubt this is the case..and a po715, po717 are turbin shaft speed sensor codes for trans....has no relation to turbo. the pcm is seeing an erratic signal from the turbin shaft coming from convertor..if the trans is shifting good its probably a wiring issue or possibly the sensor..a slipping trans will also cause this..

·
Registered
573 Posts
What they see after you program and return to stock is exactly what they see when you disconnect the truck's batteries. Nothing different.

·
Registered
132 Posts
first off....85%??? thats funny. i highly doubt this is the case..and a po715, po717 are turbin shaft speed sensor codes for trans....has no relation to turbo. the pcm is seeing an erratic signal from the turbin shaft coming from convertor..if the trans is shifting good its probably a wiring issue or possibly the sensor..a slipping trans will also cause this..
Hmmm.........Thats a really impressive answer how did you figure that out ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have seen a few in my time..........also from my experience, unplugging the battery will not reset codes on the 6.4's. the codes have to be cleared..

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What they see after you program and return to stock is exactly what they see when you disconnect the truck's batteries. Nothing different.
Your wrong, I seen it first hand today.

·
I wanna go fast!
632 Posts
What exactly did you see? just curious.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seen where they can tell it was accessed, on the computer and some things were out of stock paramaters.

I did not get to LOOK at it but he showed me where it showed that it was not stock its entire life.

Not that big of a deal to me, I knew going in to this that you gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
118 Posts
PAHRUMP,

Can you shoot me a couple pics of your truck. I am going to go to 13.50 instead of 15.50 wide tires. Thanks. Any problems keeping them balanced. Where does everyone balance thier tires that are 38 and up?

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine balance pretty good, they started to bounce a touch after about 3500 miles but I just had them balanced again as Discount and they ride good as new now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was told by the tech at my dealer that they cant tell once its back to stock?? I wish someone who really really knew could put this to rest. Any ford certified 6.4l techs could give us the low down as to just what the computer sees and can they just ask you if its been programmed or do they have proof positive that you had it programmed. If they can then there is away to clear the ecu like on all computers. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I was told by the tech at my dealer that they cant tell once its back to stock?? I wish someone who really really knew could put this to rest. Any ford certified 6.4l techs could give us the low down as to just what the computer sees and can they just ask you if its been programmed or do they have proof positive that you had it programmed. If they can then there is away to clear the ecu like on all computers. What do you guys think?
Same here. I heard at the dealer level they cannot tell but a Ford rep can, with some digging:dunno: Some concrete answers would be nice.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I posted what REALLY can be seen.

He hooked my truck up and said you have a tuner? I said no, he said yeah then did you buy the truck new? cause if not the previous owner has had a tuner installed, look...then he showed me the stuff on his laptop, I did not know what it all was/meant, but it showed MANY of the parameters being out of the stock range and engine load being over 100%

Then I told him yeah, and we installed the tuner again and went for a ride...he was very impressed with the power and such.

Told me that on the previous models that if you removed the tuner right there would be no trace, but on the 08's the ECM records all that stuff...sort of like a "black box"

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well of course he could see things out of range. You didn't return the truck to stock before he hooked it up. :)

I've had 2 different techs who eat, sleep and drink these new 6.4's that they cannot tell exactly what has been hooked up. If you have an SCTFlash programmer and you return it to stock prior to going in the only 'codes' they see are the same as if you had removed the battery connections to the truck. They cannot see what has been changed, just that the computer has been reset due to power failure. There is no specific item datalogging in these (yet).

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well of course he could see things out of range. You didn't return the truck to stock before he hooked it up. :)
You did not read the post at all did you?

Yes I put the truck back to stock, even un hooked the battery for 5 minutes to "think" I was resetting things.

Then I want in and talked to the tech...did not drop my truck off for service...just went in to talk to him about the codes I had, he said how did you get the codes, I said I took it to autozone and they pulled them...so then he plugged it in real quick seen the codes and then looked at another screen and BAM, asked if I had a tuner....then the story is posted above.

I am not here to argue with you...believe what you want...I was sharing info that I THOUGHT some might find interesting. Those that dont want to agree with it...so be it....I got FIRST HAND knowledge of what they can and cannot see...and they CAN see everything on the 08's.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is no specific item datalogging in these (yet).
Yes son....there is datalogging in the 08's....nothing like this on the 7.3's or 6.0s but on the 08's yes.

Even in the 08 vans that still have the 6.0 in them (yes there are some 08 vans with the 6.0) they cannot see, but on the 6.4 the ECM records things.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Then perhaps the BADP tuner that you have does not return it to stock in the same manner the SCTFlash unit does. I talked in great detail to the guys at Sniper as well and they also believe there to be no datalogging of changed parameters.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are they trying to sell you the unit?

The BADP tuner is an Edge Evo, thats had custom tunes added....so take that for what its worth....if an edge Evo leaves a mark then so be it...if others dont...then so be it.

He told me that they all do on THE NEW 08, but NOT ON THE OLDER STUFF.

I gotta say he was a super cool guy and was shooting straight with me....hell we talked about all sorts of mods, and he was very interested in the cat/dpf delete pipe I had and all...but bottom line....he told me they leave a mark, and for SURE mine left a mark.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I suppose it is also possible that the newer flash versions may datalog changes to parameters. My truck has a flash version just released after the "flame-thrower" issues early last year. Looking at the ford updates I see that there are 2 other flash updates available since then.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My truck does not have the newer flashes...its an early job #2 with the original flash.

We also talked about this and he does NOT recommend the newest flashes from ford....

However this has nothing to do with it...the ECM itself logs the stuff, he said the best way I can explain it is a black box on an airplane.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts