Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is running a split shot injector in their OBS 7.3?

I'd like to hear the particulars of the swap.

I.E.

Who tuned it?

Did you just swap to a California PCM?

High Pressure Oil issues?

Trying to nail down a good "how to" thread, to take away some of the myths about this, for once and for all.

So post up!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I'm running a set of re-man AD's(unknown mileage,only know the bus had 114k total) on a bone stock non-cali truck. I just pulled the AA's out and threw the AD's in. The truck lopes and smokes(black smoke) at start-up everytime, but i'm leaning towards a weak stock HPOP causing that. Once that smooths out the idle is pretty good. It doesn't have much low end power, again weak stock HPOP, but its not much worse than the stock injectors. But once i get above 2k RPM's i think it runs stronger and better than stock. IMO its a lot quieter also.

The only thing that bugs me is it cackles, again i believe from tuning and HPOP issues. Once it does start making power i can't hear the cackle, but espeically at low RPM's its noticeable.

I do have a stock 17* pump, which i may or may not get modded, and i'm hopefully going to get tunes in the next week or two. But for now i'm driving it the way it is.

Here's a video, and i have more on my page.

BTW, this is a good sticky. I read around a lot on different Powerstroke sites(mostly here and PSN), trying to find out about running splits on single tuning. Basically i found out it will work, but each truck seems to run different. So i put my injectors in not knowing what would happen, or if it would even run.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
derek says to run the splits on stock tuning.
I don't know a tuner named Derek.

Not tryin to come off like an azz, but I'm tryin to get the cold hard facts compiled, not the internet facts.

Literally every non Cali OBS I know of that's runnin splits has had fits gettin truck to run right. Both with tuning, and without tuning (obviously).

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, this is a good sticky. I read around a lot on different Powerstroke sites(mostly here and PSN), trying to find out about running splits on single tuning. Basically i found out it will work, but each truck seems to run different. So i put my injectors in not knowing what would happen, or if it would even run.
Thought I'd try to nail it down for guys that want to do it.

I'm hoping to get some information from a few tuners or other professionals in the field.

Benefits of splits in my opinion are what you're describing. Quiet/smooth operation.

Power and mileage goes to singles usually, though there's really no reason why splits can't get every bit of the mileage singles can.

So, for a guy that needed no more than 300HP out of his OBS, and wanted a quieter more pleasant truck to drive, splits could be a good OBS mod.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Yeah, or people like me that need injectors and find a good deal on splits. Which if i wouldn't have bought my spare motor i'd be running 2's or hybrids right now instead of splits, but running these is a much better option financially.

I tried sending an e-mail to [email protected] tonight to set-up ordering my chip, but my e-mail is messed up. So tomorrow i'm gonna try to give him a call and see what he thinks about it. I'll post up what i find out.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Just to clear up any doubts, split shot injectors with good split shot tuning in a OBS work great! My truck runs extremely strong, and my brother says its twice the truck his TW tuned OBS with stock injectors was. I still have a slight cackle at lower RPM's, and between 1500 and 2k RPM's the motor has a bad shake when i'm on the throttle. I think the cackle is either low fuel or HPO pressure(17* pump ready to go in), and i think the shake is from the injectors themselves. They are used, out of a motor that i never saw run, and i have no clue how many miles are on the injectors so it doesn't surprise me. But other than that these injectors are awesome for a budget repair/performance mod. :nod:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I'd say almost any tuner can do it. Like i said i had [email protected] do my tuning and it runs great. I've read on some different sites that even with the right tuning OBS trucks don't run right with splits. And other than the cackle my truck runs great.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd say almost any tuner can do it. Like i said i had [email protected] do my tuning and it runs great. I've read on some different sites that even with the right tuning OBS trucks don't run right with splits. And other than the cackle my truck runs great.
Cackle and shake...

I really wish you had a good set of AB's in there, every OBS 7.3 I know of runnin splits without a cali PCM has some weird quirks that the owner works around.

Glad it's running good enough to use though!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Cackle and shake...

I really wish you had a good set of AB's in there, every OBS 7.3 I know of runnin splits without a cali PCM has some weird quirks that the owner works around.

Glad it's running good enough to use though!
I've thought about doing some testing and seeing if there is a bad injector, and just replacing it. But i drove a while today and i never noticed the shake in the all-out tune. :dunno: But it runs strong so it doesn't bother me. Hopefully once i get the pump in and E-fuel it clears up my problems and makes the truck even stronger.

And I agree, IMO splits are a waste if you have singles. For me i could've gotten a set of 2's or hybrids if i wanted but i pretty much got these AD's and a 17* pump for free, and my old injectors were shot so i figured i'd give em a shot. I paid $500 for a low mileage spare late 99 SD motor, $500 for a chip, and $80(i think) for o-rings. I can get $500 out of the motor without even trying, so i only have about $580 and 7 hours of my time in injectors. And if i decide to dump em, i have a $580 custom tuned chip and a set of injector cores.

And honestly, i'll be shocked if i'm still running splits in a year. Unless i have to sell the truck because of fuel prices, i'm slowly saving up for a set of hybrids.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, nobody did.

It's an attempt to collect information. If you don't have any, GTFO.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Who would want to do this?? Splits take more oil to run and is harder on the IDM. In that case to push a set of modified injectors open you need a HUGE pump. That and no one but Swamps makes splits in any bigger of an injector. Why not a sticky on how to install a intercooler?, exhaust?, intake?, injectors?, turbo?, ZF6 into an OBS? anything someone will USE.

One of two ways, you get a set of AB's/AD's and get the PCM from the truck as well. OR get the injectors and have someone tune the PCM you have to run them. All to obtain????What a quiet engine??......ITS A DIESEL! Just my .02 you'll delete this anywho...just saying, you wanted to start a conversation about the conversion didn't you??

·
DERAIL MOD!!!
23,192 Posts
Those are in the 7.3 tech files, it's just added information alot can benefit from, just read more of the sight before you just bash stuff, welcome to the org btw

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Who would want to do this?? Splits take more oil to run and is harder on the IDM. In that case to push a set of modified injectors open you need a HUGE pump. That and no one but Swamps makes splits in any bigger of an injector. Why not a sticky on how to install a intercooler?, exhaust?, intake?, injectors?, turbo?, ZF6 into an OBS? anything someone will USE.

One of two ways, you get a set of AB's/AD's and get the PCM from the truck as well. OR get the injectors and have someone tune the PCM you have to run them. All to obtain????What a quiet engine??......ITS A DIESEL! Just my .02 you'll delete this anywho...just saying, you wanted to start a conversation about the conversion didn't you??
I have splits cause i basically got them and a 17* pump for free. So for $500 total(chip cost) i have a truck that will out run prolly any stock injectored OBS out there. Consider that a SD can make mid 300's, but a OBS can only hit mid 200's, say a 100hp difference on average. Knock a generous(IMO) 20hp off that for the lack of a fuel pump and intercooler, and you' have an 80hp gain over stock injectors for little cost. Those numbers will vary depending on many factors, its just a generalization. I am wanting to get my truck on the dyno once i get a trans built just to see what they will do.

And because at the time this thread was made there were a couple people wanting to put in splits, but there isn't much info out there. All those things you mentioned are for write-ups, this is a discussion.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Like I said, if you have information pertaining to the original subject, post.

Otherwise, see above.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I have a 97 Cali truck, and these trucks come with split shot injectors stock. People are saying that MPG's suffer, but I am not noticing this, as I get 17-20 MPG, and that is good enough for me. But I'm probably going to go over to single shot injectors when these die off just because splits are a California thing! I wonder if going from split to single will make my truck act up...

·
DERAIL MOD!!!
23,192 Posts
it would slightly because the pcm is configured to have split, if you go to single shot you will need a chip to make sure the computer knows this, i have a 97 cali as well, and get the same mpg less i keep my foot in it at all times. and whats the point in going to single if you have stock splits, the stock single's are 90cc anyway, if your going to go sinlge atleast go to stage 1 or 2's

1 - 20 of 110 Posts