Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was staring at a 7.3 at work the other day, and I said to myself, "Self, what if one were to take the battery, move it back, and put the air filter in front of the battery?"

Then you could shove the airfilter in the front corner of the engine bay, build a shroud (or use one from a cold air intake), and run the hose up to where it was on the intake and do the zoodad mod. I think this would greatly increase airflow because the battery blocks a lot of airflow.

Has anyone tryed this? I see BlackCloudStroker moved both batteries to one side, I think this would be just as effective. I'm not sure if a shroud was built around it or if the zoodad was done on that truck, but i think this would make a great setup!

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I dont know if the air flow improvement would be worth the time and effort. I would try it on some boring day for something to tinker with. Some relocate the batteries for weight distributution and/or fitting in another turbo:woot:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Wait....after looking at your sig, do you have stacks on a gasser? Please tell me that half ton has a diesel swap.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha im sorry, i lovvee stacks. I just was pretending it was a 7.3.. and i dont want to pretend anymore.. so im buying one! :D

anyhowww.. isnt that the hole point of the zoodad though, to alow more air to get to the intake?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
The only way it would benefit is if you are running a open element filter. I am running the AIS, and the snorkel goes right into my filter box, so it works great the way it was designed, and nothing filters better than the AIS, my UOA reports prove it. Many also will pull the foam out of the fender well and this allows air to come in from there. They sell a rubber/foam gasket to go from the fender well to the air box to help direct this air flow into the filter box, but it would still work with a open element filter. The biggest problem is it is dirty air, and the one reason why I didn't do it. My AIS flows all the air my truck needs.
Good Luck

NCH

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
haha im sorry, i lovvee stacks. I just was pretending it was a 7.3..
:doh::doh: jeez.... lol j/k Welcome to the .ORG!!!

As said above, yes the zoodad is meant to get more air to the filter, however, doing all that relocating and working would probably be a lot of trouble for not that much benefit. Either way, glad you are make the switch to an oil burner! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
it has been done exsactaly as you describe i just cant find the thread. do some seaching and you will find it.:nod:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts