Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started home this evening and looked down at my speedo and noticed that I was doing 95.... only I wasn't!! My speedo has gone crazy... Even when I park and shut the truck down, it still reads that I'm doing 43 or so. What's up with this?!?! Anybody? Thanks! Preston

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's better now, just reads 15 out there in my driveway... nobody has seen this before?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine does this when it gets cold outside. I see your in Louisiana and it probably isn't cold out there. My speedo does this every winter. Once the temp hits 10 - 20 degrees or less outside, the speedo will stick at various spots. Once the temp inside the cab warms up, it starts to act normal. I once heard of a lamination or maybe a better term, de-lamination with the instrument cluster.

I stopped by the local ford dealer and they said they had to replace a cluster due to this issue once before. Mine of course is out of warranty and it is $300 or $400 for a new one. I have a GPS and a Scangauge II and use one those to monitor speed.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info- it's not too cold down here right now, but we are in a little cool spell... low-mid 50s, so maybe that's got something to do with it. After a couple of days of acting wierd, it started reading correctly again. I was doing like you said and watching my GPS. Do you like the scanguage? I've never messed with one... is it easy to use? What can you monitor with it? Thanks again! Preston

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really like the Scangauge. Granted there are fancier displays, but I think it is the best bang for the buck. I really like the size of it, nice and small but easy to read in any light. This is something I can't say about my SCT Livewire, which I never use for reading PIDs, only tuning.

I made my own under mirror mount by bending a piece of lexan and using a split collar to go around the shaft of the rear view mirror. I bought a female to female CAT5 adapter and put it under the dash. Made a new CAT5 cable to run up the side pillar and across the headliner. I did this so I could bundle up the provided cable that came with the scangauge and keep that under the dash. This way I can remove the unit in less than a minute and use it to scan for codes in my other vehicles if necessary.

You can monitor 4 PIDs at once and program quite a few into the unit. Currently I have 19 programmed into it, but there are more. When towing I watch ECT, EOT, TFT & MPH. I am attaching a chart with the PIDs I have programmed into my unit. You can also visit their website and see what is available.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Mine did that. Ford dealer replaced the entire dash cluster...over $600 bucks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oooh... I hope mine stays fixed!

So the scanguage will display kind of like the CTS, there's just no way to monitor EGT or Fuel Pressure with it? Looks like you have everything else covered!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts