Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had the SPE DPK on my 2012 6.7 PSD for only 2 weeks. At operating temp it would have Hard starts, rough starts. What appears to be Low fuel pressure before the HPFP kicks in. But no codes. So I replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor. No change. Removing the SPE Exofilter solved problem. But now the fuel supply line (upper fuel filter to the SPE DPK manifold ) supplied by SPE humms (vibrates) like mad while the truck is running. Fuel rail pressure to the injectors is fine, acceleration is fine. Just a constant humm. I'm at a loss as to how to fix it w/o removing the SPE DPK.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F-250 6.7 Lariat
289 Posts
Don't buy the SPE kit. Buy the new S&S Gen2 kit. I had the SPE kit on when my pump failed and their return screen blew through. Just got the S&S kit and it is wayy nicer. Has a clear return filter housing, way bigger filter and better filtration and fits together much nicer than the SPE.

Reactions: jrsavoie and Mota

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’d love to see different “disaster kits” installed on engines and then intentionally induce a pump failure to see which kit actually works the best. Would be an expensive experiment, but if these companies have the nuts to prove they are the best, would be fun for me to watch. And then I would buy one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the SPE kit and have not installed it. There is a big issue with this design. The metering block adaptor, threads for the AN fitting are straight cut vs tapper, this causes the AN fitting to hit the botting of the hole, restricting the flow of fuel.

Hope that SPE fixes this issue.

Household hardware Gas Auto part Nut Nickel

·
Registered
289 Posts
I purchased the SPE kit and have not installed it. There is a big issue with this design. The metering block adaptor, threads for the AN fitting are straight cut vs tapper, this causes the AN fitting to hit the botting of the hole, restricting the flow of fuel.

Hope that SPE fixes this issue.

View attachment 777842
Very interesting and awesome of you to notice that. I knew there was something off with the kit when I had it on my truck. I'd get reduced power (draining fuel rails) codes when I didn't previously without the kit. New S&S kit has given me zero issues. When I installed the SPE kit, the fitting between the metering valve and adapter block (pictured) was extremely tight and wore off some of the powder coat getting it to fit.

Just remember guys, marketing doesn't mean ****. A company can have bad products even with great marketing and reviews. In the end, it's all about the $$$$.

Reactions: jrsavoie

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I tried to return this kit and even offered a 'restocking fee' because it had been 60 days. SPE responded and just said 'no returns after 30 days.'

·
Registered
289 Posts
I tried to return this kit and even offered a 'restocking fee' because it had been 60 days. SPE responded and just said 'no returns after 30 days.'

That's ridiculous. They probably know people don't want them anymore and since they take so long to ship, people almost forget they ordered one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't buy the SPE kit. Buy the new S&S Gen2 kit. I had the SPE kit on when my pump failed and their return screen blew through. Just got the S&S kit and it is wayy nicer. Has a clear return filter housing, way bigger filter and better filtration and fits together much nicer than the SPE.
Is the S&S Gen2 kit plug and play?

No cutting lines or anything?

·
Registered
45 Posts

I have a new, never installed kit, in my wife's truck someplace. I figured it would just be an expensive learning experience.

I wish I would have canceled before they finally sent the kit. There were enough red flags to indicate I should have.

·
Registered
289 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes. Plug and play with factory connectors.

Getting the intakes off to reach the pump head takes the longest.
Second this. First time taking those off is a pain. After you've done it a few times it only takes about 30min though. Also don't go by the torque specs for them in the S&S instructions. I cracked my (brand new OEM) metal intake tightening the one bolt down to their spec.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one just havnt had the time to put it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Put one in last week and ended up taking it out yesterday. Think I will keep as is. Wasn't a lot of clearance due to the ccv. Not looking to reroute the ccv it either. The SPE horizontal barrel coming from the fuel pump was rubbing against the ccv line going to the manifold and rubbing along another hard fuel line below. Also was unable to secure that particular fuel line to the fuel filter mount with the provided spacer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Put one in last week and ended up taking it out yesterday. Think I will keep as is. Wasn't a lot of clearance due to the ccv. Not looking to reroute the ccv it either. The SPE horizontal barrel coming from the fuel pump was rubbing against the ccv line going to the manifold and rubbing along another hard fuel line below. Also was unable to secure that particular fuel line to the fuel filter mount with the provided spacer.
I put two on now both came back with low rail pressure so took them back off

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put two on now both came back with low rail pressure so took them back off

totally agree, just got done installing SPE CP4 kit and CCV reroute kit. my f250 now shows low fuel pressure, I will be removing the CP4 Kit and CCV reroute next week when im off work. will be selling both for $500 plus shipping, SPE CP4 kit is $419 and CCV reroute kit is $199 email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
45 Posts
totally agree, just got done installing SPE CP4 kit and CCV reroute kit. my f250 now shows low fuel pressure, I will be removing the CP4 Kit and CCV reroute next week when im off work. will be selling both for $500 plus shipping, SPE CP4 kit is $419 and CCV reroute kit is $199 email me at [email protected]
I was offered $250 for my never opened the Box, SPE dpk.

I said I'd take it and never heard from them again. I'm still open to offers

21 - 40 of 45 Posts