Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen SPE has a CP4 disaster prevention kit for the 6.7. I’m for all safety measures in place to preserve my Power Stroker, so has anyone installed one and what are your thoughts?

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,378 Posts
there has been an uptick in threads where people install these (not spe specifically) and are having issues.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hear a lot of good things about them. It’s on my list of next mod. Spending 5k right now on the truck so gotta recover haha

·
Registered
2017 F350 FX4 Lariat Crew Cab short box
40 Posts
I have been doing a lot of research into SPE Diesel, they seem like they do there research and testing before they throw something out. I have one of there Disaster prevention kits on order. I like theirs over everybody else because with theirs you don't have to cut a line, everything uses factory style connections, so if it don't work or you want to put it on a different truck you can easily.

·
Super Moderator
5,979 Posts
Just a few things to think about...
The idea of catching metal from the hpfp if it grenades is fine and dandy. The problem with these kits comes down to what causes the hpfp to go kaboom in the first place. Generally that pump is damaged by some kind of fuel contamination (Gas, def, or water) or lack of lubrication. They really dont just come apart on their own all that often (Yes, it does happen but its not as common as you are led to believe) and the things that damage the hpfp also damage your injectors...
I dont see any harm in adding one of these things, but dont look at them as a fix to anything. If you let your brother/friend borrow your truck over the weekend and he accidently fills the 1/5 of a tank he used with gas... You may not know much about it for a few months till the pump starts coming apart(And at the same time, we have seen trucks suffer little to no damage as well). And unfortunately, your injectors have been subjected to the same lack of lubrication. Or that whine from the lpfp that you ignore for a month till you have time to let Ford have your truck... Or the 30k miles the previous owner let the same fuel filters sit in there (doesnt just cause issues with debris, thats a fuel pressure problem)........... These kits dont save your fuel system from that abuse. If water gets through, you are still screwed... Injectors, inside of lines, connections... Everywhere there is steel will corrode.

If a pump comes apart, I dont know any sane mechanic that is going to confidently tell a customer that this kit saved their injectors unless they are 100% sure there has only ever been clean, dry diesel through that truck.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Secretz

·
Registered
2016 Lariat F250 FX4
8 Posts
I had a S&S put in mine back in April of 2020, by a professional, and have not had any problems that I am aware of. Just might be a small piece of mind. Idk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just a few things to think about...
The idea of catching metal from the hpfp if it grenades is fine and dandy. The problem with these kits comes down to what causes the hpfp to go kaboom in the first place. Generally that pump is damaged by some kind of fuel contamination (Gas, def, or water) or lack of lubrication. They really dont just come apart on their own all that often (Yes, it does happen but its not as common as you are led to believe) and the things that damage the hpfp also damage your injectors...
I dont see any harm in adding one of these things, but dont look at them as a fix to anything. If you let your brother/friend borrow your truck over the weekend and he accidently fills the 1/5 of a tank he used with gas... You may not know much about it for a few months till the pump starts coming apart(And at the same time, we have seen trucks suffer little to no damage as well). And unfortunately, your injectors have been subjected to the same lack of lubrication. Or that whine from the lpfp that you ignore for a month till you have time to let Ford have your truck... Or the 30k miles the previous owner let the same fuel filters sit in there (doesnt just cause issues with debris, thats a fuel pressure problem)........... These kits dont save your fuel system from that abuse. If water gets through, you are still screwed... Injectors, inside of lines, connections... Everywhere there is steel will corrode.

If a pump comes apart, I dont know any sane mechanic that is going to confidently tell a customer that this kit saved their injectors unless they are 100% sure there has only ever been clean, dry diesel through that truck.

Just my 2 cents.
Agree with everything you said. Air in the lines is another major cause of cp4 failure.

I personally think these dpk kits are snake oil, they can "help" but they by no means prevent.

Pay attention to what goes in the tank more then anything else, use fuel additive for added lubrication. You can buy a lot of additive for $419.

Reactions: Patriot1

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I definitely appreciate the feedback on this thread and take in everything everyone is saying. I will say that I do use Hotshots EDT and now in the colder months in Va I have switched to their Anti-Gel additive on every tank fill. Also the truck has 13500 miles on it with two oil changes and about to replace my fuel filters for the second time. I stay with BP for diesel fuel from one major truck stop station along with monthly drains from my water separator which looks flawless. So, do I need the kit from SPE? Maybe not but like most say, “it’s a piece of mind” to have for the “Pucker Factor” when you know something is up. May not prevent the disaster but at least it will minimize the damage. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That's the way to look at these kits. It doesn't prevent the failure to begin with but severely cushions the work to fix it after.

Reactions: Shortend

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have the SPE kit (version 1) on my truck for about 50K miles now. As has been said, it won't keep your pump from failing (SPE does not claim that!!), but it will keep a failure from becoming a catastrophic event. I look at it as a $400 insurance policy. Pretty cheap when you consider the cost of replacing the entire fuel system!!

And the new kit coming out is WAY better than the one I have!!

Mark

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,378 Posts
i still fail to see how it will prevent catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
i still fail to see how it will prevent catastrophic failure.
CP4 disaster prevention kits supposedly reroute the fuel back into the fuel tank rather than pushing it through your fuel lines, rails, and injectors. When you have a CP4 failure, the metal shavings will still go into the fuel tank so that would have to be dropped and cleaned out and so would the return fuel line and fuel filter on the tank.

Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,378 Posts
Idk, i feel if debris has made it through the cp4 and injectors, it going to the fuel wont make a difference at that point.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Idk, i feel if debris has made it through the cp4 and injectors, it going to the fuel wont make a difference at that point.
The point of the prevention kit is that metal shavings don’t go to your injectors. This is the premise of how these kits work.

In this diagram of factory fuel flow through the CP4.2, you can see how the metal debris resulting from the failure of the roller lifter is allowed to contaminate the high-pressure fuel within the pump. Pieces of the disintegrating roller lifter and cam lobe are passed directly on to the fuel rails, injectors and the volume control valve (i.e. MPROP), as well as out the return. It’s not uncommon for a CP4.2 failure to cost its owner an entire fuel system (high-pressure and low-pressure), from tank to engine.

As you can see in the blue area, fuel supply to the plungers is blocked and rerouted back to the tank. This way, lubricating fuel from the camshaft area is subjected to another round of filtration before going through the fuel system again. All fuel entering the pumping element side of the CP4.2 and flowing toward the injectors is always routed through both of the truck’s fuel filters.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,378 Posts
Ah. That makes more sense. I had a different idea of what went where.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been doing a lot of research into SPE Diesel, they seem like they do there research and testing before they throw something out. I have one of there Disaster prevention kits on order. I like theirs over everybody else because with theirs you don't have to cut a line, everything uses factory style connections, so if it don't work or you want to put it on a different truck you can easily.
I also really like that its the only one with a filter that comes right off the cp4 pump to catch a failure so you can easily check

1 - 20 of 27 Posts