Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:Rant:

Back in May I updated my DashDaq and had an issue with the standard Spartan 250 tune throwing codes. I called Spartan and was told that the issue should be fixed by the end of the month.

In June, there were post from Spartan saying that the issue would be corrected by the end of the month.

In July, there was a post from Spartan saying that "Matt has a lot on his Plate".

So here we are, 3 months after the issue reared it's ugly head and still no fix.

The 250 is my daily driver, so I've been using the 250 "No EGR" tune for a while, then switching to the 210 tune to cycle the EGR valve so that it doesn't "stick". Since no one has ever said how often this needs to be done (time wise or mileage wise), I've been running the 250 for a week, then the 210 for a day, before going back to the 250 for another week, and so on and so on. It wouldn't be so bad except that the DashDaq takes 30 minutes to load a tune!

I'm glad that I didn't buy my tires from Spartan because if one of them had a leak, they'd tell me to just keep adding air until they have time to fix it?

I remember that there were months of delays in this last update being released because Spartan was doing a lot of testing and getting lots of input from customers. Evidently they didn't do enough testing because the 250 tune worked before without codes and now it doesn't.

So, what's happening with the next update?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
What I am really looking forward to in the next update, is the change in lockup. I really need my truck to stop locking up at 45MPH. In the meantime I have been using the Tow/Haul to get it to lockup later. Jeff, I know you have been getting bugged endlessly about this, but it would be great to at least get the LL files soon! Anyone else hate the truck locking up so early? I tow often and the old 210 tune shifting was perfect IMO. Thanks

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The last up date took 6 months after the v2 update came out to fix the egr issues, guys with 3.55 shifting issues and i am sure a few other issues that the v2 had. By looking in the 6.7 section it looks like they have there hands full with tuning issues with the 6.7, and i am sure thats whats been taking up his time.

Does anybody know if H&S cycles the egr? :beer:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does anybody know if H&S cycles the egr? :beer:[/QUOTE said:
I was wondering the same thing :drinking4:

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
:Rant:

Back in May I updated my DashDaq and had an issue with the standard Spartan 250 tune throwing codes. I called Spartan and was told that the issue should be fixed by the end of the month.

In June, there were post from Spartan saying that the issue would be corrected by the end of the month.

In July, there was a post from Spartan saying that "Matt has a lot on his Plate".

So here we are, 3 months after the issue reared it's ugly head and still no fix.

The 250 is my daily driver, so I've been using the 250 "No EGR" tune for a while, then switching to the 210 tune to cycle the EGR valve so that it doesn't "stick". Since no one has ever said how often this needs to be done (time wise or mileage wise), I've been running the 250 for a week, then the 210 for a day, before going back to the 250 for another week, and so on and so on. It wouldn't be so bad except that the DashDaq takes 30 minutes to load a tune!

I'm glad that I didn't buy my tires from Spartan because if one of them had a leak, they'd tell me to just keep adding air until they have time to fix it?

I remember that there were months of delays in this last update being released because Spartan was doing a lot of testing and getting lots of input from customers. Evidently they didn't do enough testing because the 250 tune worked before without codes and now it doesn't.

So, what's happening with the next update?
Your question has been tossed around since last year. I "think" the Spartan tech Company has lost ability to support their product after their V2 versions release last year , resulting in a lessened ability to compete with H&S and the other Biggies. Perhaps 08stroker250 will give an update as to whats up with Spartan? I also notice the sticky portion of the 6.4l forum is all about old Spartan stuff that doesnt seem relevant anymore, Whats with that? Theres tons of accurate technical info worthy to be stickies, time to move on. The 6.4l diesel engine may just be the finest diesel engine ever manufactured.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I to am curious about the lockup at 45. Just installed my spartan and at 45 truck falls on its face. Is there any way to avoid or correct that? Will it damage anything by continuing doing that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been saying the same thing for quite awhile now on the 45 MPH lockup..it sucks. Ive been posting on Spartans site about it and they say they are working on it. Truck is a big slug as soon as you hit 45. Used to be alot better when lockup was aroud 50 to 55. I'm confident Spartan will correct it and give us back our late lockup as they say they will. It just seems to take forever when your truck doesn't run like it used to. I think they have an awesome product with excellent commitment to customer satisfaction, so I am sure they will fix it for us who really dislike it.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I've been saying the same thing for quite awhile now on the 45 MPH lockup..it sucks. Ive been posting on Spartans site about it and they say they are working on it. Truck is a big slug as soon as you hit 45. Used to be alot better when lockup was aroud 50 to 55. I'm confident Spartan will correct it and give us back our late lockup as they say they will. It just seems to take forever when your truck doesn't run like it used to. I think they have an awesome product with excellent commitment to customer satisfaction, so I am sure they will fix it for us who really dislike it.
You should read my thread over there. I posted it a couple of hours ago and it is regarding testing I did last night and today. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I'm sure lock up at 45mph, hurts our mpg....no, Jeff?
Why would it?

The reason I ask is because you have 3.55 gears. I have 3.73 gears and I believe that it helps me.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Doesn't early lock-up cause the truck to lug to get up to even higher speed?
Not as much as you think. It all depends on tire size and gearing. I did a bunch of testing on this the past 2 days to prove that it does not lug like people think. The thread is on our forum. :thumb:

Fuel mileage is helped by converter lock-up because RPM's drop off. Obviously if the truck lugs up a hill at 45-50 MPH, it's not going to help fuel mileage. At the same time, fuel mileage won't be good up a hill at 45-50 MPH with the RPM's above 2 grand.

It does on mine, definitely lugs the motor IMO.
More than likely due to the larger tires you have. I will say this though....I use to be leveled with 35" tires (3.73 gears). My truck loved the old 275 over the old 250 tune. I hated driving with the old 250 tune because the torque converter would un-lock so easily.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I feel as if it lugs my engine, I have to lay the throttle down another quarter for it to pick back up..ie; waste of diesel. Does the next firmware upgrade take care of this and if so, how?

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I feel as if it lugs my engine, I have to lay the throttle down another quarter for it to pick back up..ie; waste of diesel. Does the next firmware upgrade take care of this and if so, how?
Firmware upgrades do nothing for the tuning. That is all DashDAQ related. We will be releasing an update on the tuning files in the future, which is what this thread is about, and it will have a second set of tunes with later lock-up. Probably going to be around 50 MPH instead of 45 MPH. The 45 MPH lock-up files will still be there though. The user will have a choice.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I love the early lockup. Diesels are supposed to "lug". That is when they are properly using the torque advantage they have over a gasser. They are not very efficient when spinning at 3000 rpm just pumping oil and creating heat with the converter unlocked.

My 0.02.

·
Registered
45 Posts
To me, the early lock makes the truck "feel" gutless as I have stated before. I have to put my foot in it much harder than before to continue accelerating at on ramps etc. This does not help fuel economy since I now am having to drive it harder to get the same speeds as before. Yes, diesels love to lug and they do their best in that condition BUT, you have to keep it in the designed torque curves for it to work properly. Big 12 to 15 liter engines have a peak torque at 1200 RPM and they love to pull at that RPM all day long. This engine, has a peak torque RPM at 2000 as most the lighter duty engines do. Peak horsepower is all the way up at 3000 RPM, ( stock figures of course, don't know what the tuned curves look like and how they change this if any ).
Point is, if your accelerating up through the gears nicely and all of a sudden it locks at 45, say at around 1500 RPM, you are way below peak torque and you dont have much torque there, and certainly not much horsepower. Thats why I think the higher RPM shifts at least on acceleration drove so much better. The engine was operating in the higher torque curve and got you going easier.
Once your at cruising speed then yes, dropping the RPM down will definately help fuel economy and horsepower will take over. An old saying I remember " torque gets you going, horsepower keeps you going ".
Sorry to ramble on and on.. I know Jeff and they guy's are giving us the option to go back if we want which is great, and shows they do care about keeping their customers satisfied. Keep up the good work guy's!.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I like and hate the 45mph lockup all at the same time. The problem I see with it is the way it's calibrated, not that it locks at 45. If you are light on the throttle not demanding a large amount of power I think it should lock there to increase MPG's. However, the issue I see is that you have to significantly stomp on it to get it to unlock, and when it does this it also shifts down a gear and you launch like you're about to go to outer space.

The previous 210 tune I was locking around 52mph, and it only took a very slight amount of extra throttle to unlock it. I find this to be on the other end of the spectrum. If you can do this, and do this impossible to unlock at 45, why not something in between that we can live with?

What I see here is whoever is writing the tuning is knee-jerking and going from one extreme to the other. If this thing is updated they need to offer an early (45) lock and a late (50) lock but make it progressive so that it doesn't require 25% or more throttle to get it to unlock when you are are lower RPM's, but also not unlock it at say 5% or less throttle. This, I think, would make just about everyone happy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Second that Blk04Snake!, :thumb:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts