Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot of different post about tuners and such and am curious if anyone has tried both of these tuners and what their opinion is on both. I know not a lot of people cannot drop a couple grand just for kicks but just curious the pros and cons of each, issues experienced, etc. This is not really a small purchase and I am just trying to make the best educated decision before I pull the trigger.

I will also add how invaluable this forum is. I have learned more about my truck by reading this forum than I would of ever had just owning/driving.

Thanks for the input, now let's hear some experiences please!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Apparently you didn't read enough. This topic has been beaten to death..

Since 2007 I have had 4 Ford trucks. I have run H&S on my last three trucks for what it's worth. Had spartan on my first truck for short period of time before dumping it.

This is DSL_PWR and I approve this message.

·
Registered
799 Posts
this type of thread can get quite passionate. i prefer H&S and have tried spartan and sct as well.
Price point, customer support and tune drivability.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this type of thread can get quite passionate. i prefer H&S and have tried spartan and sct as well.
Price point, customer support and tune drivability.
I am expecting some passionate reponses too! For me that will probably help make the choice a little easier. Thanks for your input. I have read that the customer service and ease of use is what sets H&S apart.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently you didn't read enough. This topic has been beaten to death..

Since 2007 I have had 4 Ford trucks. I have run H&S on my last three trucks for what it's worth. Had spartan on my first truck for short period of time before dumping it.

This is DSL_PWR and I approve this message.

I have probably read nearly every thread on every powerstroke site concerning this topic, so if I, and I am sure other people, still have questions then its apparently not dead enough yet. Not everyone has owned 4 PS's and haven't had the vast experience and knowledge of tuners that you have. That's why I wanted to know about experiences from individuals, like yourself, and what made one better than the other.

So I apologize if this topic is so dreadful and annoying that you don't want to help inform the uninformed of which you prefer.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I prefer the ease of use of the H&S tuner/tunes and the ease of install and updates. Great shifting, tons of smooth usable power, and the customer service at H&S is awesome.

The few issues I have had with H&S were resolved quickly and efficiently. No complaints here.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer the ease of use of the H&S tuner/tunes and the ease of install and updates. Great shifting, tons of smooth usable power, and the customer service at H&S is awesome.

The few issues I have had with H&S were resolved quickly and efficiently. No complaints here.
Thanks brother, that is very helpful. I have been leaning more towards the H&S because of those reasons. I had done a little research on the Spartan and they look great on their website but I haven't heard a whole lot from them concerning the 6.7.

I hope to hear from some other people about their Spartan tuned trucks, too!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Thanks brother, that is very helpful. I have been leaning more towards the H&S because of those reasons. I had done a little research on the Spartan and they look great on their website but I haven't heard a whole lot from them concerning the 6.7.

I hope to hear from some other people about their Spartan tuned trucks, too!

Thanks again.
You should read the 6.4 stuff on tuners. That will help you a lot in making your choice. :wink[3]:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check it out. I know I will probably spend a lot of time over there. I wish there was that much depth for the 6.7! But I'm sure it will before long.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Spartan has a great tuner they make more power than H&S. Customer support is great never had a problem with them. From what I have read Spartan tuned trucks seem to shift better with the higher tunes. I really don't think you could go wrong with either tuner. I think a lot of guys are running H&S because of the price difference of the tuners. Also it use to be that if you got a Spartan you had to pay a extra for the Warhammer tune, it is no longer that way.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spartan has a great tuner they make more power than H&S. Customer support is great never had a problem with them. From what I have read Spartan tuned trucks seem to shift better with the higher tunes. I really don't think you could go wrong with either tuner. I think a lot of guys are running H&S because of the price difference of the tuners. Also it use to be that if you got a Spartan you had to pay a extra for the Warhammer tune, it is no longer that way.
To be honest this is the reason I wanted to hear from guys with the Spartan too. I read somewhere in the Performance section a guy dynoed his truck with the Warhammer and made something like close to 500 HP and over 1300 TQ. That's pretty crazy! If I could find it I would link it. Not that my main reason for tuning is to make over 1300 ft.lbs. of torque, but that is definitely a huge plus!

If I am going to drop a grand or more on a tuner, I certainly want to hear what others have to say, good or bad. These are the types of experiences that I am looking for, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i just did the spartan tunes on my truck about 750 miles ago i started with the 50 dpf on tune an truck woke up nicely an shifted nicely picked up 1mpg also. Then i bumped to the 125 dfp on tune an my truck did not like it it had less power then stock an surged, so i ditched the dpf messed with the dpf off 120 165 an then the warhammer the shifting in my truck is not great this could be just my truck because i read great things from others. The power is ok with all but on the warhammer tune my truck will not spin the tire at all and the trans seams lost most of the time even after doing the reflash and relearn and 450 miles mpg is up 3 mpg around town tho. As for customer service the tuner was shipped with directions that were from when spartan use to charge for the warhammer tune and you had to download everything instead of it being preprogramed when it was shipped so when i emailed them asking what to do they told me repeatedly read the directions i would reply saying i did following them to a tee but they seamed outdated they just replyed read the directions i feel it would have been simple for them to just walk me threw it but instead they just blew me off. so in the end i feel spartan could do better with customer service and shifting but it could be just my truck who knows. my reason for going with them was simple they only tune powerstrokes to me that was a big deal now looking back its not so much that i would not give h&s a try because i read nothing but good things about them. Sorry for the long post but i hope it all helps ya make your mind up.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
H&S deleted and tuned. Great customer service. Great power. Great shifting. 18,000 Problem free miles. Easy to install and update. I highly recommend H&S!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
566 Posts
I highly recommend H&S also. I have 17,000 miles and I've been tuned since about 3,000 and deleted since 10,000.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for the info, I appreciate hearing your experience/opinions about the tuners. I think its making my decisions easier and harder, if that makes since.

I guess if I was rich I would buy them both!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had a Spartan on my 6.4 that I took off when I sold my 6.4 and got a 6.7 (Aug 2010) believing the "it will be out in two weeks" BS that Spartan was spewing at that point in time.

Still have the Spartan in a box in the shop and my 6.7 is running a H&S Mini Maxx for quite a few reasons (some that may not be valid any more due to Spartan updates).

1. No shifting tunes on the fly, if someone else is driving my truck the H&S takles 3 seconds to switch to Stock power levels.
  2. No adjustable defuel levels on the Spartan.
  3. When I went with H&S Spartan did not have the EGT monitoring option using a stock sensor and block off plates.
  4. A general bad taste in my mouth with Spartans ever changing story on availability, pricing, re-licensing etc.
  5. Doubts about Spartan's continued survivability given they are pretty much a "one trick pony".

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sucks about the crappy experience with Spartan. The crazy part is I don't think I have heard or read about any negative problems or issues with H&S. Not that they are perfect or that Spartan hasn't made great improvements. The idea of a having a tuner that makes the biggest numbers is something I would've probably jumped on about 10 years ago, I think now I just want something that has the ease of use and all of the other user friendly options and still make great power.

Again you guys are awesome and I really appreciate the advice and opinions. Like I said this is years worth of experience wrapped up in a few posts! :thumb:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Apparently H&S just released the MCC tuning for the 6.7 today and low boost fueling option

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Skip the whole DPF on thing, it's a waste and delete.

H&S works great, great support too. Nice to know that if something goes wrong they are on the ball.

Good power. Have to say that if it weren't for the Truetrac it would probably be real hard on the tires. On the dyno mine hit 440hp and 975ftlbs of torque. Around town mileage improved about 2/3mpg and 1/2 on the highway.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Skip the whole DPF on thing, it's a waste and delete.

H&S works great, great support too. Nice to know that if something goes wrong they are on the ball.

Good power. Have to say that if it weren't for the Truetrac it would probably be real hard on the tires. On the dyno mine hit 440hp and 975ftlbs of torque. Around town mileage improved about 2/3mpg and 1/2 on the highway.

I had considered doing the DPF ON tuning but I finally wised up and realized the whole reason to get the tuner was to get rid of the crap that kills the engine. So I agree with you. Those are some very respectable numbers as well, blows my mind they can make that much power and still be a daily driver!

I also just read about the MCC tuning that they (H&S) have released, and WOW! Being able to make custom tuning and control just about every parameter is crazy. That's a pretty high standard for others to follow.

I don't mean to derail my own post but I guess I will for a second. TrickTruck, I recently read a post that you responded to about a kid wanting to buy a F350 to haul around some tools in case he got fired/moved from dealer to dealer. I have to say the advice you gave him was legit. I know that we wasn't very receptive to what you and others were saying but that is exactly what makes this forum the poo! Being able to ask a question from other like minded people and get some helpful advice is awesome. I know occasionally you get some disgruntled people but people like yourself and others who give good advice and that have helped him (and me) is very helpful and welcome.

Thanks again to everyone and keep it up! I will keep readin' if ya'll keep postin'!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts