Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newbie to the powerstroke, sorry if this has been discussed earlier, i see alot of you guys running the spartan 210, 275, and 310 tune on your trucks and have nothing but great things to say bout it, my ? is are you all running stock trannys? on duramax and cummins they are good for about 100hp of upgrades before you have to swap tq and valve bodies or add a transgro jr to them. what are you guys doing to the torque shift tranny?

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
210 and 275 Tune have millions (literally) of accumulated miles on thousands of trucks now with virtually no transmissions failures.

As for the 310, when released, a trans upgrade is recommended. For periodic track or sled pulling use it will be fine *for a while*, but eventually the stock torque converter will fail. We will be offering an optional upgraded transmission control module shortly (for all job build trucks; will be released with the 310 tune) which will help quite a bit, but the stock hardware just won't live forever under that amount of stress.

·
Registered
163 Posts
not a thing its a ford it will handle the power!!! I have been really hard on the truck the last two months! i have 40xxx on it and 22xxx has been on the 275 and the truck as been tuned since 5500 miles!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
210 and 275 Tune have millions (literally) of accumulated miles on thousands of trucks now with virtually no transmissions failures.

As for the 310, when released, a trans upgrade is recommended. For periodic track or sled pulling use it will be fine *for a while*, but eventually the stock torque converter will fail. We will be offering an optional upgraded transmission control module shortly (for all job build trucks; will be released with the 310 tune) which will help quite a bit, but the stock hardware just won't live forever under that amount of stress.
for a weekend driver and toy hauler puller what tune is recommended? its a 10k trailer

how does the 6.4 with say the 275 tune compare to a dmax running a ppe hot+2 accelerator or efi live

·
Registered
163 Posts
matt wat converter do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Suncoast!!! Nobody else has a converter that will compare

·
Registered
25 Posts
so if i buy one of these sun coast tranys how much power could i put to it and what else do i need to do to make this motor bullet proof...

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
so if i buy one of these sun coast tranys how much power could i put to it and what else do i need to do to make this motor bullet proof...
Suncoast tranny, new gaskets, and head studs should make you bullet proof with what's available. I guess you could add the Elite pushrods to the mix. You should be able to handle plenty of power with that. I'm guessing 750-800 horsepower no problem. Not sure if rods are available yet, when they become available these trucks should be unstoppable lol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
for a weekend driver and toy hauler puller what tune is recommended? its a 10k trailer

how does the 6.4 with say the 275 tune compare to a dmax running a ppe hot+2 accelerator or efi live
Unless the duramax has an upgraded tranny you can take him but if they have an aftermarket tranny and maybe dual cp3's they will beat you most of the time

·
Banned
47 Posts

Can you elaborate on that TCM you're going to release? And does it simply change up the parameters for only the 310hp?

I'm not going to run that much power as I tow a heavy construction trailer, but I am after the most durability I can achieve with a stock trans (I will rebuild it when I cross that bridge, hopefully not anytime soon). The Suncoast TC is probably going in before your tuner along with a deep pan, billet input shaft, upgraded 'noids, and whatever else I can do without tearing the trans apart.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Can you elaborate on that TCM you're going to release? And does it simply change up the parameters for only the 310hp?

I'm not going to run that much power as I tow a heavy construction trailer, but I am after the most durability I can achieve with a stock trans (I will rebuild it when I cross that bridge, hopefully not anytime soon). The Suncoast TC is probably going in before your tuner along with a deep pan, billet input shaft, upgraded 'noids, and whatever else I can do without tearing the trans apart.

Thanks
To be totally honest with you, I have hesitations about both the solenoids and the upgraded pan. The solenoids IMO are completely unnecessary and can cause clutch timing issues when "stacked" with good trans tuning- they were designed with tuners in mind which did not recalibrate the TCM. I think you'll find Suncoast to be in agreement with this. As for the pan, unless they have been redesigned (and I may be a bit behind on being up to date here) you'll have to go back to the old-style screen in the pan, rather than the new style filter).

The new trans module will work with any HP level. It was designed with the 310 in mind, but we can write lower HP tunes to work properly in conjunction with it. It provides a much quicker, positive shift without being downright brutal like jacking line pressures up in the programming will do at higher levels. I'll be posting more info on the release as it comes along. It won't negate the recommendation for an aftermarket converter with the 310 if the truck gets abused, but it will certainly prolong the life of the base trans itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless the duramax has an upgraded tranny you can take him but if they have an aftermarket tranny and maybe dual cp3's they will beat you most of the time
when you say upgraded tranny do you mean a shift kit and tc or a fully built stage 4 suncoast?

·
Registered
175 Posts
when you say upgraded tranny do you mean a shift kit and tc or a fully built stage 4 suncoast?
Not sure what upgrades need to be done but im pretty sure most stock allisons go into a "limp" mode after more than 150hp is added, if that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
What parameters is everyone watching? I didn't see a boost or a transmission parameter. I was just curious what would be the most important ones to watch.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I know I need to watch my EGTs but what do select on my Dash Daq to get it to show them? What i have selected now the temperature never gets over 600

·
Registered
570 Posts
under Ford Specific:
Exaust Gas Recirculation Temp A

·
Registered
351 Posts
I didn't see that. The only thing i seen was Catalyst Temperature Bank 1, Sensor 1 and Catalyst Temperature Bank 1, Sensor 2. What does that read?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts