Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am getting 15.5-16 mpg mixed driving (hand calculated) on my spartan. This really disturbs me since it seems like the majority of guys are getting like 19 or 20 with 6" lift kits. I just have cat back exhaust, would my mpg go up with a delete? I don't lay into it or anything, actually i am usually a conservative driver. Can you guys help me out? Might there be something wrong with my truck/tune to be getting that bad of mileage? Truck is an 08 F250 Supercab SB with 36,000 miles

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just have cat back exhaust, would my mpg go up with a delete?
so you can run a spartan w/o doing the dpf delete? I thought that wasnt recommended? maybe that is why the mileage isnt as good? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I can easily get 17 or so. Hand calculated...

·
Registered
227 Posts
so you can run a spartan w/o doing the dpf delete? I thought that wasnt recommended? maybe that is why the mileage isnt as good? :dunno:
No the DPF is after the cat, therefore catback=DPF delete, but most guys are running everything deleted*
*Im pretty sure

·
Registered
570 Posts
12/18MPG on stock 20's

·
Registered
641 Posts
the 20+ mpg comes from all highway, in town my mileage sucks with my gears/tires. But once on the highway I have seen between 18-19 running the 275, haven't done it out by hand with the 310 yet

·
Registered
182 Posts
the 20+ mpg comes from all highway, in town my mileage sucks with my gears/tires. But once on the highway I have seen between 18-19 running the 275, haven't done it out by hand with the 310 yet
same for me:icon_ford:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hoosier-

In my experience and driving nearly 1,500-2,000 miles per week, there are two major variables that are difficult to obtain what everyone on here is doing. The first is RPM. If you can keep your truck below 2,000 rpm's your mileage will be substantially better. Many people might run 70 mph @ 1,900 rpm's on the hwy and get 19-20 mpg with the Spartan. I know my truck can do this. However, I drive a turnpike everyday that is nonstop and a speedlimit of 75 mph. I drive 78-80 @ 2050-2150 rpms and my mileage is 16.8-17.5 hand calculated. I am running the 210 tune right now and plan to move to the 275 soon.

The second major variable to consider is how much fuel is actually going in the truck. It is best to spend the 5-10 extra minutes to fill the tank all the way until all of the foam actually dissipates from the tank and you can see the fuel in the neck of the tank. By doing so, you are able to ensure that you put the same amount of fuel back in the tank each time and obtain the most accurate hand counted mileage. My guess is not everyone practices this when claiming mileage gains.

I tried nearly every tuner/programmer out there with/without the delete pipe. There is no comparison to the Spartan from power to economy gains to customer service. The Spartan also is 100% consistent with every tank I put in my truck. You definitely went the BEST way with Spartan!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hoosier-

In my experience and driving nearly 1,500-2,000 miles per week, there are two major variables that are difficult to obtain what everyone on here is doing. The first is RPM. If you can keep your truck below 2,000 rpm's your mileage will be substantially better. Many people might run 70 mph @ 1,900 rpm's on the hwy and get 19-20 mpg with the Spartan. I know my truck can do this. However, I drive a turnpike everyday that is nonstop and a speedlimit of 75 mph. I drive 78-80 @ 2050-2150 rpms and my mileage is 16.8-17.5 hand calculated. I am running the 210 tune right now and plan to move to the 275 soon.

The second major variable to consider is how much fuel is actually going in the truck. It is best to spend the 5-10 extra minutes to fill the tank all the way until all of the foam actually dissipates from the tank and you can see the fuel in the neck of the tank. By doing so, you are able to ensure that you put the same amount of fuel back in the tank each time and obtain the most accurate hand counted mileage. My guess is not everyone practices this when claiming mileage gains.

I tried nearly every tuner/programmer out there with/without the delete pipe. There is no comparison to the Spartan from power to economy gains to customer service. The Spartan also is 100% consistent with every tank I put in my truck. You definitely went the BEST way with Spartan!
What he said about the filling up technique. I do this every time I fill up. I got 18 and 19 mpg straight hiway calculated. Around town between 14-16

·
Registered
120 Posts
15-17 mixed driving.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The last tank, 80%highway, 17mpg(hand calculated). Lie-O-Meter said 22.

We were driving 70 to 80 most of the time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
town 14-15 hwy 18-22 (hand calc) the only way i see over 20 is there is a long stretch of hwy that the speed limit is 65 mph and you better be doing it(to one of my hunting camps). so at 65 with cruise set i can squeeze out over 20 with the 210.

·
Registered
88 Posts
37s and 6" lift and I get 18 on hwy taking it easy and resisting the urge to floor it past everyone I see! In town I get around 13-14. I am very happy because before I deleted everything I couldn't get over 9 mpg in town.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thx guys that makes me feel better to know you are averaging more like what I am. I spend a lot of my driving on back country roads checking on farms and doin a little road farmin, at about 50-55 mph which is about 1500 rpms or just below. Lets call that 40% and then highways at about 65 mph (1750 rpms) at 40% and small towns and highways through cities for about 20%. I keep my rpms below 2000 90% of the time and blowin smoke the other 10. I see at best 16 mpg on the 275, so you guys are saying this would be expected?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Thx guys that makes me feel better to know you are averaging more like what I am. I spend a lot of my driving on back country roads checking on farms and doin a little road farmin, at about 50-55 mph which is about 1500 rpms or just below. Lets call that 40% and then highways at about 65 mph (1750 rpms) at 40% and small towns and highways through cities for about 20%. I keep my rpms below 2000 90% of the time and blowin smoke the other 10. I see at best 16 mpg on the 275, so you guys are saying this would be expected?
I like running the 210 for fuel economy and for Daily Driving. I think I give it too much throttle on the 275 :nod:

But seriously I think I get the best MPG on the 210. I have heard differently though. Like that the higher HP tunes get the best MPG :dunno:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ran my 210 on one tank, that's it, and I get better fuel mileage on my 275. I think my problem with the 210 tune is trying to get as much out of it as the 275 or 310 tune hahaha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts